Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chemical etching of glass?

Default Chemical etching of glass?

In this bar cabinet i'm making he wants a couple cabinet doors with glass in them and i'd like to have some type of etched glass in the doors. I don't want to do it on the bot.
    I'm going to do some research on how to do it but if anyone here has done it and has specific recommendations i'd appreciate it.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Usually done with HF (hydrofluoric acid). Very nasty/dangerous stuff.

But I believe you can buy etching paste with very diluted HF in crafts store. I have not tried this myself. You would probably have to mask off the non etched areas with paraffin or similar. Could you blast it?

http://www.armourproducts.com/ecom-c...mour_Etch.html

Buy a roll of sandblast resist on E Bay. Either use a drag knife in your Bot or (much better idea) have a sign shop cut it for you on their cutter. Apply it, sandblast the panel and remove. Simple, works great and easy to do. You can even get a cheap sandblast setup from Harbor Freight and do it out in the driveway.

The secret of the resist is that it is rubbery and sand bounces off of it.

I warn you once you get started your wife is going to have glasses with your initial on them, mirrors in the bathroom with designs and so on.

Most of the hobby shops, (hobby lobby, etc) have small bottles of etching gel. you can mask with the regular vinyl that your local sign shop uses. Have them cut your mask in the cheapest vinyl they have, apply to the glass, apply the gel, let it stand about 10 minutes and then rinse, remove the vinyl and you are done.
    It is cheap and easy this way unless you intend to do a LOT of etching.

If you can't find a local shop to work with for a reasonable price, let me know I can cut it and mail it to you.

Jay

Jay that's a great offer...thank you. I have gotten sign vinyl from a company that i cut signs for but it comes in a roll like regular tape and you apply it to your surface then i would Vcarve the sign.

Unless you are talking about something else that i haven't used i'm not sure i understand how you would cut out the design then apply it to the surface? Unless it has a backing on it and you cut the design then apply by peeling the backing off?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

The sign shop will remove the part of the vinyl that gets etched, and then cover it with what looks like masking tape. You remove the paper backing, apply the vinyl and the tape to the glass, rub it down tight, then remove the tape. all that is left is the vinyl where you want to protect the glass from the etch gel. After you are finished with the gel you remove all the vinyl.

I did about 100 shot glasses few months back, I used some 3m stencil material cut on my shop bot and etching paste from ac moore. I messed up the first 2 but got the hang of it real quick
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me

Default How dd you cut the vinyl?

Did you use one of the knives available fromShopbot or one of the vendors?

What do you place under the vinyl for a bed?

Thanks Thomas!

Bob Condon

I use a piece of sintra as a bed. It gives a nice flat surface and if I go a little to deep it is soft enough not to break my blade.

I didn't cut the vinyl on my bot, we have a dedicated vinyl cutter. One thing that I feel needs to be mentioned is that there certainly is a difference in the feel of the final product when comparing chemical to mechanical etching.
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me