Thread: Help! I just ruined a desk for the 2nd time

Default Help! I just ruined a desk for the 2nd time

So, I'm building a built-in desk/bill pay center for a friend of mine. Everything is going to be painted except the top of the desk which I'm applying stain and polyurethane. The top is A-1 Maple w/ MDF Core. So my first attempt this weekend was a disaster. I tried sanding it back down to bare wood today and it broke thru the veneer layer. So I went back to the lumber yard and bought another $75 sheet. On the way home, it started to rain lightly and I immediately pulled over and covered it with some cardboard. I sanded it lightly before applying the stain and the stain brushed on very well...but when I went to wipe off the excess, all of the rain drops came thru. Is there any way I can save this piece?
    Raindrop Stains.jpg

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

You should have "re-wet" the piece with a damp rag. That way it would have made the spots all one color. Another idea is to "spot" the top, if owner would like it, using a darker stain and toothbrush to apply. You use it to flick stain on to the top to spot it. You stand back and try to make it look old similar to an antique. You may ask the buyer if this is what he wants. Otherwise I can't think of a re-do.

Get some 320 wet dry sandpaper and use more stain as the lubricant and sand by hand a little linseed oil added helps.

Once you get as much of the raindrops out as possible, make up a solution of shellac and denatured alcohol ratio of 4 parts alcohol to one part dewaxed shellac. cover the whole board with this and let dry (about 5 minutes) sand lightly. This well prevent the stain from absorbing differently at different locations and give a more uniform appearance to the wood. I do this all the time with woods like maple, poplar,.cherry and pine. It might make it a little lighter, but another coat won't hurt.

Sorry, that was for wood that has not been stained yet.

What I would try is getting some transtint dye approx the same color as the stain and mix it with your top cop, spray a couple layers and it should get most if not all out and then you will start using glazes all the time

Bob

Was the opposite side also stained with water drops?
    In the end you have to ask yourself....do i want to put in $100.00 worth of time and expense to save a $75.00 piece of wood?

Besides you know the old saying...."third times the charm!"
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I would try a light sealer coat and sand. That will keep stain from soaking in too deep. Use a gel stain and you can work the stain to get it evened out. When staining maple or birch I always use a sealer or "wash coat". My wash coat is 50% lacquer and 50% thinner. Then sand before staining. This keeps stain from blotching and gets a nicer look. You could also try spraying a ngr stain lightly to even it out. Do testing on all techniques first. I have done lots of different stain techniques using ngr spray stains and then wiping stain on top. I am not a big fan of any Minwax stains unless they are gel stains. Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Thanks guys for all the help. I tried some of the suggestions but not much luck. So I ended up sanding all of the stain off (which took forever). I then wiped the entire piece with a damp rag and let dry. I stained again and everything turned out well. I'm now in the process of using the wipe on poly. I'll let you know how that works out. Thanks again.

post pictures of your results
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Just tell him that you used exotic wood because you think so much of him I think they call it leopard maple!