Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bot up and runnig

Painting our props.

There has to be a better way, the kids fine motor skills are bad, so painting the v-carving is looking very poor need some tips will post more pictures soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Kyle,

It would take years to improve their motor skills. If it is OK for the wood to show, try this:

1. V Carve the design

2. Use a couple of coats of sanding sealer on the top including the v carved recesses

3. "Slop" on the paint in the v carved recesses. Make sure it covers all of the V recess. Accidental paint on the top surface is OK. Wait for paint to dry completely.

4. Sand only the top until the slop is gone

Result - a perfect paint job!

Paul Z
    Last edited by paul_z; 03-05-2014 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typos

Kyle, you made one of Scott W's for t-track! What would you do different? Congrats! I'm still procrastinating
    Paul, Any particular kind of sanding sealer you like for natural wood finish, all I've got right now is lacquer and varnish---Usable? Using ash and trying to highlight cribbage peg hole countersink.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I meant sealer in the most generic sense. It's used to keep the paint from bleeding through on the top and from bleeding sideways in the v carve.

I haven't tried lacquer but I would expect it to work. It would have the added advantage of drying very fast! You might want to run a test to be sure the v carve paint will stick to the lacquer.

If the top needs to be painted, put on a top coat with an almost dry foam roller as the last step. It takes a while but keeps the top coat from running down into the V Carve.

Paul Z

Thanks Paul, Got to double check the sign guys. Thought about afterwards and should have searched first(what can I say-designing at 2am-should be an "Off" switch for brains
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott, made a little video of the changes I would make if/when I make a new one.
    http://screencast.com/t/LblgbGAwmG4
    Kyle Stapleton

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Kyle…
    I have a jig I use when making large volumes of smallish parts… I found that adding a leather surface to the cam face allows me to stop anywhere in its arc. You can better see the leather in the photo of a cam clamp I make…
    SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice jigs.
    I think the first thing I'm going to 4th qt. (first real class with the bot) is we are going to make jigs so I can show how important hold downs are.
    Kyle Stapleton

Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Thanks for the vid Kyle. I think hold downs would be a great topic for a teacher as it's so important and it sneaks Physics in there Steve, nice jig and clamp! Any idea how eccentric you can make a cam clamp and still have it work well? Did you oil or treat the leather?
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott…
    My cam offset is ⅛” for a total of ¼” of motion. I haven’t tried for more but I can tell you that I’ll need a longer cam handle if I do!
    The leather is “saddle string” from Tandy. However they tan it is the way I use it. I originally bought it for a cane handle wrap before my hip replacement… I found out the hard way that the color isn’t permanent! (at least the burgundy isn’t)
    http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/lacing/5008-200.aspx
    SG