Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buddy 32

Default Buddy 32

Does a Buddy cut a full 32 x 24?
    I am only getting 27 x 24.
    What is going on?
    Bud Love
    Houston, Texas
    Compared to the alternatives, Life is Good!

Check your hard stops and your prox switch bolt positions. Is it limited by the prox switches? (if so move the bolts so they trigger about 1/4" from the wall).

I had to "tweak" on my buddy "as delivered" to get the full motion out of it. My BT-32 is a first generation machine so my experience may be different than yours. Dont feel like you are stuck with the initial setup, tweak one thing at a time as you are comfortable with the machine.

Most likely you will get closer to 36" x 25" of real cut area center line. Then with a 1/2" bit you would still be able to meet the factory cutting area specification. I would love to hear from someone with a modern BT-32 to confirm that its still true with the current generation of machines.

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

With my BT 48. I can cut out fully, 24" by 48" with the stock table - and 48" by 48" with the 6' powerstick.

I just cut out some 48" rounds - no issues. I believe in the specs your cut area is actually 1" larger than the 24x36/48 nominal size.

Bud, Andrew is spot on it does cut bigger but like Dana we initially moved the stops.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Thanks guys.
    I will go to work on these items...
    Bud Love
    Houston, Texas

Just to make a comment - I didnt touch anything re my stops/limits etc they are as set up at the factory.

On the Z car.. I removed the hard stops completely, the gantry ends ARE hard stops, that is the real "limit". Why have another hard stop before that? (One I simply moved so it is does not hit before the wall, the other one was removed)

Then I put the horizontal prox switch bolt heads so they correlate to just about a 1/2" away from the wall on the Z car side-to-side motion. On the normal 2' old-style table, I removed the prox bolt completely because I occasionally was hitting it "too soon", the one at the "home" end of the table motion is there and works great. It triggers about 1/2" away from the edge of the table, so thats just right for how I want it to work.

Andrew- good to hear you got everything correct out of the box. I set up a modern BT-48, and I had to adjust the stops on it, just like I did my older version.

One thing I have learned, if SB makes a claim, and an individual machine seems to not live up to specs.. something is wrong with the machine. These things "can" work as advertised.

Learning that things like stops and prox switch setups are not cast into stone opens the door to the incredible flexibility of the bot world!

Bud- keep us posted on how it comes out

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Quote Originally Posted by dana_swift View Post
    Learning that things like stops and prox switch setups are not cast into stone opens the door to the incredible flexibility of the bot world!
    D
    Yes, amen to that......I wanted to flip my X and Y axii on my Buddy and thanks to the info supplied by Dana and Brady it was a simple thing to do.....now the table is in the right orientation for my setup and makes sense to me......

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Default Buddy 32

Got it cutting the complete 2432.
    Had to adjust rollers and a couple of other tweaks.
    Doing is NOT the same thing as working the tutorials, but they sure did help.
    Learning one day at a time and smiling my way through it.
    Decided to do repetitions of the small things first and then go bigger as the learning curve grows.

I may want to change the XY axis. Is it as simple as changing values in VI?
    Bud Love
    Houston, Texas

You really got to watch out for those Z decimal points! Tricky little suckers like their cousins "screws". What's that old saying "Preview Thrice for Nice"?
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine