Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: grayscale bitmaps

Hello Jack. I just now sent the sharpened file to you by email. In Photoshop CS6, I adjusted the brightness and contrast, then applied the "smart sharpening filter", adjusting to maximize the clarity and distinctness of the lines. This was very easy to do, and maybe took 5 minutes. I am not a super Photoshop hotshot by any means. I am a basic user. But I can not imagine that the image could be made any clearer, without actually redrawing it as a vector image.

Now, if this is good enough for your needs, that is another question. But based upon images I have had to work with, what you had was already an exceptionally clean drawing, and it would have been fine for making a 3D relief model in Aspire.

I have attached an image I am currently pulling my hair out on. This is from an old photo of a Victorian house, where this applique was removed 50 years ago. The owners want a replacement. The bottom half of the design is clearly acanthus leafs. So that I was able to redraw, by looking at good drawings of acanthus leafs and modeling based on those. But the upper half, what is it????? Because I can't figure out what it is, I can't draw it. This is from a very fancy 1880s Victorian house, so the top is not an egg cup with an egg in it, and a the angled arms below it are not from the Pillsbury Dough Boy................... If any of you architectural historians can offer a guess, I'd appreciate it.

The reason I mention my Victorian house applique Jack, is that it makes your image look super sharp in comparison. You have enough I think to model with, that is if I can work with my fuzzy blur of an image for this house project. But it was easy for me to sharpen your image, and if it helped you, I can, or anybody with Photoshop can do this for you with minimal effort.

Good luck, Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chuck Keysor; 02-15-2014 at 10:02 PM. Reason: deleted an extra word....
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Hi Chuck i got your image but the problem still exists. The issue i see is that greyscale bitmaps because they are made up of pixels will never be able to be just converted without alot of jaggies in there, especially when you try to blow up and image you magnify the problems also.
    If i was to start off with a large image and make it smaller that would be better.
    I will continue to work on it to try to get better results. I do appreciate your efforts greatly.

On the other hand your image you posted is a challenge. It is almost easier to tell details when you look at it small rather then large.
    I would do some investigating in some Dover clipart books to see if you can find something similar:
    http://store.doverpublications.com/b...al-design.html
    http://store.doverpublications.com/0486402657.html
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Hello Jack. No problem, I'm sorry this revised image didn't help. But in the Aspire modeling I have done, I have traced basic shapes such as shown in your image (drawing IN Aspire), and then used their "Modeling Tools" to turn the traced images into relief images. I feel that there really is plenty of information in your image to allow someone to draw the required vector art.

I am not sure if you tried to use automated raster to vector conversion or not. Maybe that is the difficulty. I simply would trace your image "by hand" using Aspire's drawing tools. (Though I have used the Aspire auto-trace on some really complicated line drawings.) But my preference in drawing your vector image "by hand", is that it would allow me to edit and adjust the image as I went along, as this image is really a bit quirky, at least to someone who likes more historically accurate architecture.

I did attach a sharpened JPEG copy of the image you sent to me. Maybe someone else has a comment that can help you.

As to my image, yes, I have gone through all of my Dover books, and I have a good collection, both of Victorian architecture and graphic designs. I just can't find anything that is even close. I have spent at least 10 times more time scratching my head over this top bit and searching the Internet, and asking people, than I did to draw and create the lower portion of this relief.

Well, I hope someone can provide some recommendations for you. Good luck, Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Jack, i fixed the bitmap
    unfortunately it's too large to attach here.
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

The final bitmap is a .tif exported from my paint software at over 2100 x 468 pixels and 1.9 MB. I increased the resolution to 89 pixels per inch to maintain the approximate size of 24 x 5.25 Inches.
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

I appreciate all who have helped me with this. While it is way better then what i was able to do i do think there is (in some instances) an inherint problem with some greyscale bitmaps. Maybe it is the size. Ones that are less then 1 meg seem to be more pixilized then the ones that are like 2+ megs or more.

I am going to take what i got from you and carve one and see how it comes out
    thanks again all for your efforts i appreciate it.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Jack. My experience in creating a relief model is limited to doing it the way that I have done with but a few cases. And that is based largely upon my understanding of the Aspire training videos. But your comments have made it clear that you do this type of work differently than I do. So I would be very glad to see your results and learn your methods. Thanks, Chuck
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5