Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grayscale bitmaps

Default grayscale bitmaps

Has anyone figured out how to make grayscale bitmaps be good enough to machine?
    All the ones i've seen when you load them up and try to make them into a 3d object always have no sharp edges and suffer from loss of detail. When i try to smooth them out either manually or by blanket overall smoothing it just makes the detail even lousier because of the pixelization of the original image to begin with.
    Didn't know if anyone had any secret techniques to fix this?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack,

I use paint.net to increase the resolution then apply a gaussian blur that will smooth out the pixels. From there I apply a grayscale filter and adjust the sharpness and contrast to my liking to improve the image for better detail.

Regards
    Randy
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

Thats where you start to kill the sharpness is by applying blurring then trying to sharpen back. You might sharpen some of your surfaces but any sharp angles get rounded over and the results make the object look a bit "melted"...
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack, how about posting a couple of images that you have tried in the past to fix, but were not able to improve? That would be pretty helpful. I have fixed images in Photoshop using contrast adjustments and the "sharpening" filter set. There have been other times where I had so little to work with, that I had to redraw the image in Illustrator. But without seeing what you are trying to fix, I can't say. Thanks, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

here is one i found via google that i'd like to make into a accent piece on top of the cabinets i'm making

(I wanted to post one i'm trying to work on but but the deminsion and size restrictions here won't let me upload anything usable 19k)
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

Jack, I have your email address from communications going back a couple of years. I will send you an email, to see if that is still a valid address. If so, you can reply, and attach whatever file you like. Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

youdaman
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

Jack,

You can post the link to it, so we can all see!
    Ron Sloan

Jack,

THat's why i increase the size of the graphic exponentially. If you apply a blur to an image that's 600x400 compared to 3600x2400 the effect is vastly different.

Regards
    I don't always indulge in evil scientific research...but when i do. I make the parts on a ShopBot.

Good advise Randy. Thanks.