Thread: Restarting a file from specific line

Default Restarting a file from specific line

Good morning everyone,

Ive been having some issues with the latest control software update. Most annoyingly, when I stop a file in the middle of a cut, often a error message comes up and I have to restart the file from the beginning when I want to resume. So here's my question: I've got a file thats rather lengthy that did this, so I'd like to restart the file from a later line number. If I dont know a specific line number how would you do this?

Thanks,

-Pat

Pat,

What is the error message you get?

File/goto line is one way of doing so if you know the line or approximate lines you want to start at, but depending on the version of SB3, this has generally been a bit sketchy. You need to have the tool positioned over the area that the line starts at or it may plow a path on its way there.

I prefer editing out the lines previous to the one you want to start at while leaving the header information in the file like spindle rpm, spindle on, and MS values along with a safe z traverse to the point that you'll be starting at.

That said, if you don't know what line to start at, but know the general area of the cut, you can run the file in preview mode and when you hover your cursor over any of the toolpath lines or segments shown in the previewer, it will show what line number that particular part of the toolpath is on in the lower left of the status bar (you may have to zoom in and rotate with the left and right mouse buttons to clearly see the desired toolpath segment). Open the part file and find that line to edit out all previous lines.
    Scott

If I dont know a specific line number how would you do this?

You don't...you're screwed unless you know what line (or close to it) that it stops, and the basic location your bit is at when it stops.

If you do, then you can use the GO TO command insert the line number but you MUST have your bit close to the location. If you take it back to 0,0 and try that it will slice across your material and ruin it.
    (Unless they have changed that)

When i used to get stops in my files i used to take notes by writing down line numbers every so often taking note of where the bit was. It has been so many years since that has happened to me i don't think about it anymore.

If you are continuing to have issues you might want to go back to an earlier version.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Pat,
    I had similar problems when I updated to the first of the 3.8 upgrades. I had a very large 3D file that I was running when things went bad. After multiple attempts I went back to 3.6.6 so I could finish the file. I had no idea what line I was at because I wasn't even getting accurate info from the error report. So I just used logic. I knew how many lines were in the file, used the FG command and simply guessed at roughly how far along the completed work was and deduced a random line #. After entering the line # the spindle moved to that location and paused or a start command. I then changed the "Go To" line number up or down depending on which way I needed to go and had it move to that position. With trial and error I was able to zero in on the needed start location and finish the file. I have not been able to run 3.8.8 or 3.8.10 successfully but am going to try the new 3.8.12 shortly to see if Ted and the staff have solved my problems. Good luck

Mark

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the responses. Jack, I've had similar experiences in the past and like you I've since got out of the habit of writing down the line number when I get an error message in the middle of a cut. Won't make that mistake anymore!

Mark and Scott, with the file I was cutting from it was fairly easy to guess where it stopped so I was able to open the cut file and edit the lines of code so I only had to sit through about 30 minutes of "re-cutting" before it got to the spot where it messed up. Thanks again and hopefully some of these kinks from these error messages will be worked out in subsequent software upgrades.

-Pat

Guys, you can follow the bit movement in Mach it show up as a white dot. Will get you close to where you were cutting. Then hit " Run from here"

Mick