Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Long lasting DLC coated router bits on Amazon

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Hey Jim,
    Get a few and give them the once over. Be objective and honest, If it is better than the rest let us know , and in it is not as good let us know that too. How is the insert tooling working out for ya, I figured that i would give a few weeks before i asked . When is the next southern boy meeting? Gene

sittin in the holiday inn dallas at the vectric user group, will report tommorrow

jim

sittin in the holiday inn dallas at the vectric user group, will report tommorrow

jim

Jim...
    Got that phone call. Report coming.
    Gary

Guys...
    As an update. Jerome sent me a 3/8 MC bit to test coated as in the picture above.

Bit was very sharp. Cuts very clean and seems quieter than the one I replaced. I experienced only a small amount of "scream" when making 90's at slow speed which is normal as these bits are made to move. Edge quality is as good as any I have used and better than the discount compressions I buy by the dozen.

I cut dozens of dados both 1/4 and 3/8 deep and could not see a chip or blemish on the face edges.

Chip evacuation is very good for a mortise grind and bit has a smooth throaty sound when cutting. My dados were cut at 360 ipm and outlines at 400 and 480 ipm in PF Maple plywood. There seems to be no brown burn residue sticking to the bit after 15 sheets cutting.

I did the Amazon search and if I hit the correct site these bits are $48. Didnt pay attention to shipping. They are more expensive than my goto brand by $18 each. I get between 40 and 45 sheets out of them. I am only up to 15 sheets on this one, but will leave it in until it is shot. Dollar for dollar I will need to cut 65 sheets with this bit before it has an equal per sheet cost with my go to brand. My guess is that I average around 120 lft of cut per sheet. Time will tell if I get to the 40,000 mentioned above. If I get to 10,000 I will buy them as they are cheaper per sheet than what I now use.
    More to come, Gary

thanks Gary.
    What bits are your go to ones

David

David...
    Lets save that for another thread.
    Gary

WidgetWorks Unlimited LLC., Chappaqua New York

Hey Gary...

I've been looking for someone to post a rough estimate on how many feet of cutting one can expect to get out of a bit when everything is dialed in properly.

I use a 3/8" mortise compression for cutting 3/4" thick PF Maple, Baltic birch, and MDF. Most of my parts are a lot smaller than you cabinet guys are making, so comparing number of sheets/bit isn't relevant.

When you said that your averaging "120 lft of cut per sheet," does that number count a 1' long through cut made in 2 passes as 2 lft of cutting?

Just curious to see how I'm making out these days.

Scroll to the bottom of the thread... The admins can move my post to this thread if they like.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/mes...tml?1261615492

Addtional information, I've been cutting with the 1/4" bit. I'd have to do the math but I've cut around 500' of 1/2" ply in a single pass. Seems fine so far. I'd guess I generally get about 2500' or so from a bit, if not more. I really have never guaged it. I know the last bit I ran about 60 sheets with it and I cut about 40' per sheet. In Kirk's words "Is that a lot?" Beats me, I just know I keep cutting until something doesn't look or sound right.

If you get the Star Trek reference... well there's no hope for you. :-)

/RB

Russ...
    More or less... The real number is probaly around 180 for our dadoed cabinet parts. I figured a sheet full of large parts and did account for the 2 passes, but didnt really round up for a sheet full of small ones.

Based on that, 42.5 sheets at 180 ft/sheet would yield 7650 linft/bit. In my case that 255 lin ft per bit dollar. Thats how I find out what the best value in a bit is. Sometimes the most expensive ones are actually the cheapest to use.
    Gary