Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: V carve panel PART 2

Thanks for the compliments
    The carving will disappear a bit when the concrete counter top goes on

In furniture or traditional cabinet making you only do 3 side only on a desk .But in kitchens it comes up all the time so it becomes a new form that's not even touched in any cabinet making books

When I first saw a shopbot 8 years ago I wanted one.The indexing head is the holy grail for me .I didn't think it would take 5 years to get comfortable thanks to the form there no way I would figure this out on my own

Kevin:
    That piece is absolutely gorgeous. You are to be congratulated on taking your skills to a new level. The "simple" panel design is a great accent to the leg and apron work. It looks to me like your finishing is also getting better all the time.
    People who don't get it regarding using a CNC to enhance their skills are many, and living in the past.

If it was 'just the cnc machine' I could make a piece as terrific as yours! I take pictures of these terrific pieces out and show my machine all the time and ask it 'how come you can't do that'! That is just one beautiful piece, shows a lot of love and craftsmandship. Thanks for posting. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Here a picture of a tool chest 100 years ago part of the tool chest was your portfolio.Picture where expensive

The hand drill is replace . Now with cad I hardly use the compass
    It does look cool the chest

Thanks for the compliment Dave and Russ
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is why the only thing I fear that is "negative" about the CNC router, is that some inexperienced (or non-experienced) people figure it is a magical thing that can make you instantly into a furniture maker/woodworker/cabinetmaker/etc. Some people assume that the CNC tech removes the design aspects of this trade, which of course is completely false.

Obviously, as I said previously - it is a great enhancement to one's shop of equipment but it still needs to be told what to do.

When I see this kind of work that you did Kevin, it does make me wish I had a full size 4x8 rig with a rotary 4th axis... some day, just might upgrade from the Buddy to that.

The day where you set a stack of sheet goods, and rough lumber and just verbally describe what you want "it" to make is a few years off I think yet

Kevin I didn't realize you had a indexer and was so good with it...wow!
    I thought maybe you had someone do those or bought them but was too polite to say it. That is fantastic.

What some have said is true, that not only do you have to be a good woodworker but also a good designer to be able to "see" a design in your head that is not gawdy or too "busy" and i think you've struck a good balance.

When I bought my shopbot it was mainly for the indexer and have been more impressed with things i could do on there then anything else. It opens up an avenue of creativity that is better then any other option you could buy.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Kevin

Keep posting pictures. Your photos are of beautiful works and are inspiring! I just hope my wife never discovers the forum and your photos! She might think I was capable of such beautiful work! You are definitely a great craftsman!

Monty

Andrew its silly to even have a debate on cnc .Its like your seat made with cnc or by hand 99 per cent of customers don't care .But leave you more time to do other things.Or using a automatic lathe .The bottom line there is no market for hand carve work in my area but using the latest technology keeps my door open

Guy's thanks for the compliments .I had my start working in a antique store in Montreal it really help with design to this day I'am influenced .Then went to night school to become a cabinet maker .I remember going to glass with my kids wagon full of reclaimed lumber I had no money for a car

Very Nice Kevin. I agree with post above about the cnc debate. It is just another tool. You MUST have a good eye for design and craftsmanship so the tool can machine the parts for the end product.
    I find so many guys call themselves a cabinet maker yet they build melamine boxes and buy corbels, doors and molding and haven't got a clue when you ask them about the face frame or type of joinery. A true and talented Craftsman build stuff like you Kevin. Your projects always have such unique components and designs to make them truly one of a kind for your customer. That is what a Custom Cabinet Maker does. Keep up the good work and ba humbug to the neh sayers. They are just jealous they can't offer that quality in house or haven't got the skills to design it.

Cheer All,

Thanks Glen for the compliments

I'am trying not to get on the soap box its just that red seal program is out dated the teacher don't ask question just "that's how I learned " there using a book called Modern Cabinetmaking by Umstattd. William D.1990

I was trying to get training in my shop all the programs are dead ends there seem to be nothing for a small business.
    Here a picture of a kitchen I did 9 years ago no cnc its from my old house in Montreal you can see the work now is getting more complicates thanks to the cnc

The point of this is if an Ikea opens there door in St.John's it will put a lot of cabinet shops out of business if they refuse to change

I'll post the other parts to this kitchen
    Attached Images Attached Images