Thread: staining poplar?

Default staining poplar?

I'm getting to the point where i want to stain the cabinets i made. My son would like to have a dark stain with a glossy finish. The cabinet boxes are made from birch plywood and the faceframes and doors will be made from clear poplar. For the most part it's all clear but a few pieces have that green streak in them.

A couple of the doors will have a fancy carving on them and the others will be regular doors with glass in them. I need some advice from you expert finishers about matching the poplar and birch plywood so if you have any good "recipes" please let me know.
    Be as specific as you can about name brands, mixes, techniques. Finishing is NOT my strong suit
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

The joy of timber Jack is that beautiful variation in colour and the characteristic green streaks in poplar is particularly unique. I would go for de-waxed shellac. You can almost drink this stuff without dying. It comes out super hard and only adds colour to the timber and never yellows. Nightmare to use though in the 40 C degree days we are going through down under. The more coats the better with this stuff. Its so of super duper easy to use french polish. Wish I had paid more attention in shop when they used to teach french polishing, spiriting out rtc.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Default Pre Stain Conditioner

As Stated, the beautiful thing about Poplar, are the green and at times purple tones. I have been using a home made stain conditioner, (from Fine Woodworking) even makes pine which stains blotchy look good. One part linseed oil, and four part mineral spirits. It's a very loose and watery mix. Apply liberally, then wipe off excess with a dry cloth and let dry over night. Try it on a test piece. It evens out ant stain you apply, and also breaths in oils to the wood which can help in preserving and drying out. The shellac or sealer, is a good first or second coat. Sand in between coats lightly. I finish with a water based poly, you can get a glass like finish. I would not stain anything without the pre stain conditioner. The results are worth the effort. Minwax also makes their own pre stain conditioner, probably costs more than home brewed.

Jack,
    You indicated a dark color is the goal. I highly recommend General Finishes "Java" Gel stain. Will do a nice job of making that poplar look like a very expensive slab of wood. If you want that espresso look, this would be great. Apply whatever you want for a topcoat.

Good luck

jeff

For poplar I like to use an aniline dye stain such as Lockwood's. I use the water based stains.
    These stains give a deep, even color. After staining, give it the clear finish of your choice.Since you have carving on some of the cabinets, you might consider glazing them to give a greater contrast.
    Rick W

Minwax PolyShades Espresso Gloss.

Once you get it the color you want, then add more poly only coats if you want more gloss.

Other than polyshades, I would die it, and poly it.
    Banquet Tables Pro LLC.

I have bought some dyes before (but have used little) because it was $20.00 for like 1 oz.? And off the top of my head i don't recall the mixing directions but i wasn't happy with results. (if this is the same thing you are talking about?)
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    I have bought some dyes before (but have used little) because it was $20.00 for like 1 oz.? And off the top of my head i don't recall the mixing directions but i wasn't happy with results. (if this is the same thing you are talking about?)

those 1 oz dry transfast dyes make A LOT.
    Banquet Tables Pro LLC.

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    No, I'm talking about the dry powders that are mixed with water.They cost about $8-12.00 per ounce, which makes up to a quart of stain.You might be thinking of the Transtint dyes, which are more expensive.
    You can order them from the manufacturer, Lockwood.http://www.wdlockwood.com/main.html
    If you're unfamiliar with finishing, Bob Flexner's book"Understanding Wood Finishing" is an excellent resource. It tells you "Why" as well as "How".
    Rick

I agree 100%
    If you're unfamiliar with finishing, Bob Flexner's book"Understanding Wood Finishing" is an excellent resource. It tells you "Why" as well as "How".

Transtint dyes sold by Jeff Jewitt are amazing. The 1oz bottles are an analine dye immersed in ethyl glycol. They mix with either water, alcohol (NGR) or lacquer thinner.
    I spray the Transtint dyes mixed with lacquer thinner. It goes on even and dries immediately. It also allows you to layer the dye to get the colour (Canadian spelling) you want. Well worth the money imo.
    Regards
    Mark
    Regards
    Mark Owen
    Woodpecker Manufacturing