Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mahogany table & chairs

So the spline worked out after all......good choice......certainly a neat way to make up solid looking legs with the Bot.....

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Default Avatar

Andrew does all that beautiful work and from his avatar he is just a stick person.

How do you plan your toolpaths to avoid chipouts which in that expensive material could be a disaster ???
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Quote Originally Posted by curtiss View Post
    Andrew does all that beautiful work and from his avatar he is just a stick person.

How do you plan your toolpaths to avoid chipouts which in that expensive material could be a disaster ???
    In woodwork, few things are a disaster... Unlike other materials wood is so fixable! One reason I like I to much

For similar machining that I've done, I find roughing out cross grain, then doing the finishing pass along the grain works well. I've done a lot of maple, walnut, cherry and similar with no issue. Thus mahogany is somewhat harder and brittle due to the interlocking grain ( which hived it that ribbon like appearance) but machined just wonderfully.

If I did not say previously, I ran the 5/8" ball end spiral carbide bit at 10,000 rpm, feed at 480 imp and 120 I pm Z. With the current update software the bot is running very smoothly. I've been keeping up with the updates since last summer without issue at all.

Glued the other two legs, and just broke one corners on one to see what things will look like. Need to get some other work done next week, but I will spend a better part of a day sanding these and then I can start working on the skirt.

Sweet!

That looks beautiful.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

your work in one word - class.
    I love to see your work.

Andrew those legs came up really nice.....looks like one solid leg......perfect mitres!!

BTW what make is that RAS...? I still have my DeWalt 1251 that I bought new back in 1986.....still going well and recently put new table and adjusted it perfectly again.....will never get rid of it.....nostalgia I guess!!

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Quote Originally Posted by Simops View Post
    Andrew those legs came up really nice.....looks like one solid leg......perfect mitres!!

BTW what make is that RAS...? I still have my DeWalt 1251 that I bought new back in 1986.....still going well and recently put new table and adjusted it perfectly again.....will never get rid of it.....nostalgia I guess!!

Cheers
    Yes they turned out pretty well. The miters closed up nicely and when the corners are rounded off and the leg sanded it should look nice

I sent a photo to the customer. She is quite excited!

The radial arm saw is an Omga, which is Italian. It's 4 hp I think, 14" blade. Nice saw. My last one was a Maggi (Also Italian) also 4 hp and we bought it in 1989. Still going strong in the old shop I sold in 2010. I hope the Omga lasts as long. I clean the rollers and guide rails every few weeks. If it's not silky smooth it bugs me.

I know bigger ras's aren't as common these days. But mine gets used a lot each day at work. Wouldn't be without one!

Andrew, If those aren't "perfect" mitre's they're within a gnats a--. Mitre gauge, metal or one of those new fangled digitals I've put off buying because of my mobile base(I have to angle for boards longer than 10' and open garage doors for 14')? Your son is going to love your mahogany "aircraft carrier"
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Did some work the past few days on the table... hope to start on the chairs next week.