Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mahogany table & chairs

Default Mahogany table & chairs

So I got a really cool contract from an existing customer... a large mahogany table (slab top, 10' by 48", full 1 3/4" thick) with 4 large shaped legs.

The legs will be 6" square, made up from 4 faces of 1 3/4" thick by 6" which will be mitred and glued up.

I started machining the 16 pcs for the legs today. After machining the blanks - I roughed the profile out with a 1/2" carbide spiral. The finishing passes are done with my 5/8" ball end spiral.

Roughing passes took 12 minutes each. Finishing passes just over 1/2 hour but I am stepping over just 30 thou per pass and it leaves a surface that will require minimal sanding.

Hope to get most of the finishing passes done tomorrow and hopefully get the legs glued up by the week's end.

The chairs will be shaped, in the "Maloof" style. Working off of this photo...

I will be starting them as soon as I get the kitchen I am trying to finish up out of the shop...

I always enjoy the work you post. Simply amazing and outstanding.
    I left woodwork due to office work.

Andrew, You got some some beautiful VG and rift Mahogany! Looking forward to seeing your progress. I love the "sweep" of the rear leg to arms on the chairs! What's happening with your rocker? Or are you so close you're going to do a "Voila!" picture You planning to do more of the dining chairs on the 'Bot seeing as the dining chairs aren't "one ofs"? Interested in the probing process and learning curve. You just put the pics of your Incras in there to make us feel better
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Sorry for posting the photo twice... But I can't edit it out.

The rocker is on hold for a few days. I'm madly trying to get a kitchen done ( mainly get the doors finished and ready for spraying, and the rest of the finishing work done).

I need a day to sand. Just havnt had the time since the last update. I also have another bedroom set to get started on before the customer gets upset. Supposed to be on that one months ago.

I'll get back to the rocker soon.

I use those clamps all the time. Yes I've cut into them more than once.... Good thing aluminum is softer than carbide!

Very nice Andrew. I love your work.

I will be delivering a 10' x 4' x 2" breadboard end, rustic hickory table on Friday. It is huge and HEAVY.

Get some help in the shop Andrew so you don't throw your back out.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by dlcw View Post
    Very nice Andrew. I love your work.

I will be delivering a 10' x 4' x 2" breadboard end, rustic hickory table on Friday. It is huge and HEAVY.

Get some help in the shop Andrew so you don't throw your back out.
    Thanks Don! I figured (by weighing an off cut and figuring the volume of the table VS the off cut) the top will weigh in at about 270 to 300 lbs. Will be enough of a handful for two of us, I will probably ask for some help to deliver it to the house. Luckily when we move it to the home, it goes in the front door and one doorway into the large dining area. No stairs!

My father made a white pine top when I was in my late teens - the top was a full three inches thick, 10' by 4 1/2'. I remember it took 4 men (well three men and me) to carry it in, on edge on a sling- two guys on each side. We had to go up about a dozen steps. Probably the heaviest thing (besides the staircases we made) I delivered.

A 10' by 4' one pc table is a large table... no doubt about that!

Today I had the Buddy running steady - I ran 11 of the leg faces/panels. Will finish up tomorrow and star mitering the edges so I can glue them up.

I also jointed and planed the top material to see what it looked like. This is going to be one sweet table...

Andrew that's one wicked drum sander you have there.......from memory remember seeing one in Norm Abram's New Yankee Workshop!!

BTW what are you going to use to join the mitred pieces......biscuits / dominoes or just glue itself?

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Going to be GORGEOUS! I would have put the Naptha to it 2-3 times already Just to show the grain to perfect strangers, but then I lick opals to show people what it looks like at 60,000G too(what can I say -- light has to go in, before it can go out)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine