Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange noise and nasty vibration

Default Strange noise and nasty vibration

I have just completed the set up on a new Standard 96x48 with a 4hp single ph spindle. When I initially was able to move the machine around with the keypad it ran pretty smoothly without any sounds I wouldn't expect. But...at the point of starting into spoil board surfacing bad sounds and vibrations have arisen. The surfacing process started normally and about half way around on the second pass the vibration and noise started. I have adjusted the the pinons from quite tight to quite loose with similar result and there looks to be ample grease in the rack/pinon. As you can see from one of the video clips, when I pulled the motors from the gantry and ran them they run smoothly and quietly....maybe more quietly in one direction than the other but certainly smoothly. I've tried moving the gantry squared up and not squared up with the same result. So, I am at the point of being out of options to try based on my limited experience. I have attached three video clips with sound and am hoping some of the really experienced SB'ers will have time to take a look. I'm really afraid to run the machine for fear of snapping a tooth off of the rack or pinion....it's really that bad.

don't see any links...
    Vector Studio 22

Randy…
    I didn’t see any clips but would like to know what cutting speeds you’re using with that surfacing bit?
    SG

Trying to get the clips attached....doing something wrong....regarding the cutting speeds, I've tried slow to fast with same result but far worse on the faster end of the spectrum. The vibartion/noise occurs also when moving from the command console without surfacing happening. Pinions looks clear of the rails and motors run smoothly off of the gantry. I'll try attaching a clip again. Thanks for the input!

Randy

drop the motors move gantry by hand any binding?
    Vector Studio 22

Gantry rolls very smooth w/o motors engaged...motors run smoothly off the gantry.

Trying to get the clips attached....doing something wrong....regarding the cutting speeds, I've tried slow to fast with same result but far worse on the faster end of the spectrum. The vibartion/noise occurs also when moving from the command console without surfacing happening. Pinions looks clear of the rails and motors run smoothly off of the gantry. I'll try attaching a clip again. Thanks for the input! I tried reattaching the clips and they are too large. I'll have a go at some shorter ones.

Randy

Steve, to address your question more specifically regarding surfacing speeds, I haven't restarted that operation but have figured out that in "jog" mode I don't get the seriously bad vibration at 2" ps but do get it at 3" ps. I know the machine moved smoothly when first up and running at 3" ps so not sure what to think. Very perplexing. Still trying to create a clip short enough to attach.

Randy

run a comms speed test
    Vector Studio 22

Randy
    Since it’s a new ShopBot, Please call tech support. They may have you back to normal in no time all!
    SG