Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection/filtration advice?

Default Dust collection/filtration advice?

I wasn't sure how much I'd been using my Desktop when it arrived so I bought a cheap ShopVac for dust collection. It's been a few months now and the dust is getting out of control. I want to upgrade the dust collection and add a filtration system.

On dust collection, I'm pretty sure Scott is secretly on Fein's payroll and he's going to harass me for not just purchasing a HEPA Turbo II but what does everyone else think?

For air filtration, I'm in a standard 2 car garage atm but I'll be moving into a 30x30 workspace soon. Which of these will be more suitable? On top of the ShopBot, I have several router tables and saws and cut around 4 hours a day on plywood, MDF and plastic if that's relevant.

JET AFS-1000B

JET AFS-2000

Those are kind of a waste in my opinion. You need to suck it up at the source. 3 to 5 hp dust collector with a cyclone. Be warned that it will be louder than your machine running though.

I have a friend that ceiling mounted one of those and put an ac in his shop. It didn't last long. Ac didn't either.
    Kenneth

Weston…
    X2 what ken said… check the particle size collected by the jets. It’ll scare you! Here’s what I have… http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=XXV030139H&CatId={883C6AA7-4C85-49FD-9EEA-C51D09DC8B19}
    Well worth the investment… just too loud! Ha, I’m wearing ear protection anyway.
    SG

2HP Harbor freight DC with DIY thien baffle/cyclone here. I have DXFs for the baffle if anyone is interested. Here is something similar to what I have:

Integrated into unit:
    http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=145.0

Will work well for me as a hobbyist, but someone with a fulltime shop will for sure need a larger, more powerful unit.

Default Houston

I would think in Houston an attic fan mounted over the bot might be helpful in addition to the DC.

Keeps a lot of air moving and dust away from your lungs...
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Now Weston, Would I do that? It's just that I had a screaming Craftsman shopvac on it's last legs, and a Delta 3/4 hp DC(not enough "Oomph") that's bag "Poofed" the worst kind of dust every time I turned it on, before we bought the "Super Duper Better Than Great FEIN HEPA TURBO 2 " along with the dust deputy. The Desktop and RO's are the only thing they do, and would be totally unsuitable for my shaper,jointer,Unisaw and other stuff out in the garage proper.
    Everybody is absolutely correct to get the dust at it's source. My Delta 3/4 hp can barely run one machine at a time. For Desktop and sanding they seem to like high pressure/low volume for some reason. 2 guys like their Ridgid HEPA's but complain about the noise. You've already got the dust deputy for your 2.5" hose so you might want to consider going with 2 separate systems.
    Just to see how much dust you're actually inhaling, try one of these for kicks and giggles(I was cleaning filter once a week).
    Fein never paid me a penny (Welsher's
    I Like Steve's!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I was worried about the 10 minute rule. Attic fan makes sense. Venting directly outside into a "Chip Box" (What did you do with you're shipping box?) eliminates the need for HEPA and separator and would quiet down something like the HF 2hp, but not sure about about Neighbors(Shroud the box somehow?).
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Default Now is the time to think this through

I was doing a renovation which opened up the options:

1. I bought a 3 HP Reliant (not made any more) with 5 micron bag
    2. I bought 2 30 gallon galvanized cans
    3. I bought 2 separators from Grizzly Industrial
    4. I put up 4" PVC schedule 40 with Ts and gate valves

See Pctures: Dust CLoset, Inside closet, Dust with Shopbot, PVC dust with gates

I placed a can and separator connected next to the shopbot.

I place a second separator next to my dust collector. This means that the
    general shop goes through the separator next to the dust collector. The shopbot has 2 separator in series.

My dust collector and separator are in a closet near the shopbot. It is double lined with 5/8" sheet rock and a steel door in case of fire...
    The closet contains all the dust from the DC so an upgrade in DC bags is not necessary.

The airborne dust locations are the cabinet table saw throws some dust off the top of the blade and the stationary sander... When I use the sander, I use a dust mask.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hwy Wes, I use both a JET 1000B and a Jet dust collector hooked up to the Shopbot carve "head" itself. I have a larger Buddy but the principle is the same.

As I'm sure you can figure out, there is larger stuff the direct vacuum collects and there are smaller dust particles that get loose into the air even after that. So I count on the ceiling-mounted 1000B to filter some of that from the air. It doesn't seem totally apparent it's doing anything but I have less dust layering in my shop and the Jet 1000's filter definitely shows the effects of collecting something.