Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a rustic wood texture pattern

Default Need a rustic wood texture pattern

I'm doing a freebee sign for a small school starting up soon. I'm carving the school name and logo on HDU (4'x8'), masking and painting two colors. Now the committee (design by committee... ho boy!) wants a rustic cedar texture on the whole sign to make it look like slivered cedar or barn board. Anybody got a suggestion where I can find vectors for that (cheap or free)? Using VCarve Pro 7. I've also got Cut3D. Thanks!

Mike
    MasterPeace Artisans

ShopBot PRT96 with a V4g
    VCarve Pro
    Cut3D
    TouchCAD

Default Vid

plenty of info on this 3dsignforum...
    Vector Studio 22

This Youtube tutorial also is good for v-carve textures.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEdH48ex9CI
    Around 11 minutes into the video is where it begins to resemble wood grain.

Rather than create one pattern on an entire 4x8, it would look more realistic if you create several patterns maybe 8 inches to 12 inches tall one above the other x 8 feet across and then your sign will look more like a glued up panel of different boards.

The most realistic way unfortunately takes the most time for machining. Photograph some high contrast wood grain that you like, then create a 3D tool path from the photo. It will take hours and hours to machine but it will look pretty much like real wood.

I don't know if you can do that in VCarve Pro or Cut 3D - I did the one in the photo in Aspire.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd make a wild guess most sign businesses, like myself, who are dedicated to creative sign making won't be interested in assisting. The invoiced price for this kind of sign goes between 3 & 4 K. This isn't an job for a part timer.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Keep in mind this is a "freebee" sign Mike is building here. It doesn't matter if it has a 3-4k price tag in the full timer world. If Mike feels confident in doing the sign, i say do it. You should be able to particapate in this forum without worry of being told that you aren't good enough to do something. If you don't want to help then don't post. Sorry for the rant, i'm on the last day of my shift on my full time job. tonight i fly home and will spend the next week off creating signs "part time".

Everyone has to start somewhere! I received a lot of help from the 3d sign forum. Give it a shot. The V-Carve method is way faster then 3d and I use it whenever I can. Check out this thread.
    http://www.3dsignforum.com/index.php...sg7875#msg7875

Mike PM sent

Tyler and everyone interested.

I'm not posting often nor are many pro's. At one time this site was filled with sign artists. They had lots of examples of what they were doing and explanations of their work.

See how it work?

Joe, i'm not discounting the contributions that yourself and other pros have made to this forum and others. But No one comes on here looking to get belittled or be made to feel that they can't do something. We appreciate all that you have taught and shown us over the years, as myself and others have learned a ton from you. But i feel you insult allot of people with the way you go about things, I hate being told I can't or shouldn't do something. Some of us "part timers" can produce some darn nice/quality peices.