Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cedar sign problems

When a client isn't happy, you're behind the ball. We don't know the attitude of the client or how willing or open they are to changes. So, solving problems like this or even making suggested corrections is questionable. So here we go.

As a business owner what I'd want to do is spend the least time and effort possible to make the client happy. That would be to fix the problem on site. One trick is roll out a coat of red latex, NOVA COLOR, on a sheet of white PVC. Rout out the letters with a 45 degree bit leaving a 1/8" shoulder. This will give an automatic white outline. A little outline would need to be figured in to allow for the V Bit. Then the letters can be quickly applied over the existing. Another option is to create a drop shade effect but that would require some brush skill. There's also the option of creating a semi fat outline and drop shade around the letters using DiBond as an overlay. Red lettering would go on that. I can think of several options but who knows without more input.

It's really not a fair question without more details. At least he did include a photo.

The example photo below show a similar problem. Imagine the maroon letters on a gray background. They wouldn't have enough contrast and would lay there un-distinctive. It's the contrast were after.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really like your option one. All of the rework is done to the letters not the main sign body. Rerun letters at the shop, take them to the sign, replace. Sometimes our reponses have to assume we can charm the other guy's customer. So far I am batting 1000.
    Bob

Sorry for the delay in response,been busy.
    Thanks for the suggestions Joe.I did suggest a contrasting second layer but they said no.
    I also suggested to paint or stain the background to even out the colours and they said no.
    As stated earlier they picked the colours.
    Unfortunately the sign shop that hired me to do this backpedaled and offered a discount without consulting me.He has been very good to me over the last 1.5 years so I let it go and asked that he consult with me before ever doing that again.
    I think this is what the customer was looking for in the first place.
    As I was installing it today I talked to other contractors on site and it seems they have done this to more than one person.In fact the carpenters had walked off the job that day.
    Anyways I got paid (somewhat less than quoted)and am happy to have that job done.
    I have only been doing signs for 1.5 years but have been in business(Excavation & carpentry)for 25 yrs,so I know that customers like this come along every now and then.
    I live in a small isolated (ferry) community so diversity is key to survival in the trades.
    I did get alot of positive comment while installing the sign today and handed out half a dozen business card so I'm looking on the positive side.

PS The sign pictured is still missing the trim on the left side to hide the bolts

Thanks Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg GG.jpg (252.4 KB, 375 views)

Looks pretty spectacular to me. The shop picture was harder to judge, but on it's base, looks great. I'm not any kind of sign guy, but were I driving by this would grab my attention. Very nice.

Well,

I certainly learned a lesson.
    And
    It's
    Not
    The
    First
    Time!

My father at 94 told me he is still learning something new every day sometimes good and sometimes not

Brian

Brian,

Thanks for the encouragement!

Its a beautifull hunk of wood, anyway..I would stop just to admire the wood.
    I just realized that your within hollering distance Brian, Hey Joe, If I sneak out some nite with a can of oneshot and a detail brush..what color should I take, just kidding..

Nice looking sign and workmanship. I do find the letters don't pop out at me. Too bad they wouldn't go for adding some white or anther good contrast around the lettering and accents. Glad you got paid as it could have turned into a bad situation and the loss of a client.

Cheers