Thread: delta rockwell 1460 for indexer?

Default delta rockwell 1460 for indexer?

Would this modal work for an indexer for a bot?
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

The short answer is....no and yes

if all you wanted to do is make symetrical spindle shapes then yes because the lathe is only going to spin while your (X or Y) axis moves along a profile path (take the shape of a baseball bat for example) and that's all you can do.

If on the other hand you wanted to make a baluster with spirals or any type of carving then you need a stepper motor and controller. You can outfit yourself with a cheap one for less then $200.00. Go back to the very start of the indexer section and you'll see several examples of guys who set up their own "homemade" versions.

You should also see versions where guys set up a combination of both a stepper motor and lathe
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Should have been more clear.
    I would like to put it on the end of my table on the "Y" and was wondering if this would work (with a stepper added)
    I have about 3.5" in over travel in my "y" as well.
    Thanks.
    Kyle Stapleton

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Kyle,
    Check out Jim's table on the end of Y axis he made. It looks study and has some ideas i'm going to use if and when i ever redo my axis bed.
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1379

After i wrote that i pictured what you wanted to do with the lathe attached. You need to measure the length of your lathe headstock with a chuck, tailstock with a center, indexer motor and add 2" or more.
    Now measure the space between your rails...deduct the first measurement from the second and that will tell you the max length of stock you can put between centers. I think you will be disappointed. If you have 4 ft between rails, i doubt you will get a 24" stock in there.
    If you mount it in the X axis you'll be better off but you won't get as large a diameter turning and you'll have to remove it to do other flat work depending on your table size.
    There are alternatives and workarounds.
    What is your reasoning for wanting to incorporate the lathe into the mix?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Why the lathe? This thought you need one.
    Kyle Stapleton

Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

To do the things you want to do in a classroom setting for making balusters, ect you don't need a lathe. There are some operations that would be faster to do (like rounding) but the tradeoffs in your situation aren't worth it to me.

You're not a production shop that needs to get 50 balusters done in a day, all your stuff is going to be mostly "one-offs" by students and i think you are adding a complicating element to the mix and if someone tries to turn the lathe on while a stepper motor is engaged something is going to go wrong.

Tell me what was your thinking as to why you needed the lathe and what you were trying to accomplish by having one and maybe we can explain a workaround to get to the same place with a different method.
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

I need to speak to use safety people and see if you can even have a homemade indexer.
    I think the only ones they will ok are the ones from shopbot.

Thanks for your help.
    Kyle Stapleton

Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Kyle,
    As i was checking something else out, i ran across this that might help you:
    http://www.barryrimmer.com/CNC/indexer.htm
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

Looks doable.
    For now I have changed my goal to make an indexing head that can be indexed at 0,90,180 and 360 to do four sided machining to make Co2 cars for the middle school.
    Kyle Stapleton

Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

if you are talking about a non stepper motor "holder" then this would be fairly simple.
    Get a piece of plywood and cut the faceplate that attaches in the center to your part, then the back plate that you can just insert a pin in the 1/4" holes to index for the various positions as in the pics. Of course you make a stand to hold this in alignment.

If you are talking about doing 4 sided machining while hooked to an indexer then all you have to do is to start have your top flat and set your A/B axis to 0.
    Then do a MB90 to turn to one side, MB 180 for the bottom, ect...while on the indexer, no jigs or anything needed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------