Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are our days numbered?

Default Are our days numbered?

Just might be for mass production and possibly even some custom work.

http://gigaom.com/2014/02/25/this-is...od-looks-like/
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I would not worry. Assuming the technology is viable and cost effective you just have to buy another machine....
    But with all the buzz around 3d-printers and having used them for the last 10 years on the job I have yet to see them output something other than one-off parts, expensive mini-series, prototypes, high end medical & military stuff or just art. But, who knows what is all coming in the next couple of years.

Scarry but at the same time exciting Don! Now the guys are looking for partners, how about a collaboration with Shopbot as it could dovetail in well with their 3D attachment that's apparently on the drawing board.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

That question was asked by the painters when photography was invented and yet we still have painters. It was asked when by the theater and opera performers when talking movies started showing up everywhere yet most every metropolitan area still has a live performance theater. And the question was asked again when the CNC router became available but most of us are still using traditional tools and techniques in our daily work.
    Technology may change and incorporated, your clients base may change but do your craft well and it will survive.
    Although I guess they typesetters on the old printing press never got that memo...

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

it would do away with scraps

But 3d printing with wood was last week fellows! This week it is fake wood! Russ

Fake Wood - a foam that looks like wood
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

I am always so way behind the times

Let her rip - Time wise and $$ wise, still far, far out of reach for all but a few.

If this thing weighs 6 pounds must have cost well over $100 in material, how many hours to print is anyone guess. Still neat, will be interesting to see how the tech evolves in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Eustace View Post
    Scarry but at the same time exciting Don! Now the guys are looking for partners, how about a collaboration with Shopbot as it could dovetail in well with their 3D attachment that's apparently on the drawing board.
    Any news on this? A customer visiting my shop today asked if I had a 3d printing attachment for my Shopbot. Sadly, I had to say no...

Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    it would do away with scraps
    Yep, sounds like it uses the scraps:
    "4 AXYZ’s printing method involves adapting an existing German woodworking machine to operate in 3D. It works by combining small, uniformly cut pieces of wood. Shah actually prefers to put the manufacturing technique under the broader term of “additive manufacturing,” as there is at no point any liquid “ink” involved, as is generally the case in 3D printing."

Actual 3D printing is an interesting technique, which will eventually be very important for manufacturing. The current range of materials is limited and the process is very slow and expensive. However, we know how that story unfolds.

I will add a 3D printer when they get more mature, but for now I've used Shapeways to produce one-off parts that can't be made on a 3D router.