Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ShopBot help needed.

Default ShopBot help needed.

I found this ShopBot for sale. Not much info but they sent these pictures. What do they tell you? Looks to me to be a PRT with upgraded electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by original ad
    It cuts up to a 4ft x 8ft sheet of material. Comes with vacuum bed, computer to run it from and 3-phase converter (the vacuum bed is the only part that uses 3-phase). The mother board was replaced in 2012. Asking $7500 obo.

How do I tell if this machine is an "Alpha" model? In one email they said they thought it was an Alpha model.

Does this look like the upgraded board....says it's version 4.17. Going to go look at this machine in a little over a week and would like some input.

It's got a vacuum table (3 phase with phase converter included). Includes computer/software (not sure what software, but assume design and control), table, router, vacuum.

The new control software will run this I assume?
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

Also, does anyone have any idea what this machine would weigh? How about dis-assembly for moving? Any one have any ideas on how that would work?
    Tom Bachman,
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896

Tom, those steppers look like standards. The Alpha's have a different coloured label... purple instead of red.

Thanks, that's the kind of info I need. Maybe I can talk them down a bit on the price.
    Tom Bachman,
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896

The control box/board appears to be a 4G Gecko drive version, so that would be a plus.
    Scott

Thanks Scott. All the info I can get allows me to make a more informed decision.
    Tom Bachman,
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896

I would put a call in to Shopbot and send the pics and info. They will tell you exactly what it is with no problem.
    As far as disassembly and transport i'd take as little apart as possible unless there is no choice (like in a basement).
    Guys have bought casters and attached to roll it. You definitely want to take the Y car off the rails and tie it down to the table to keep it from rolling. DO NOT roll the carriage while the steppers are engaged as they produce feedback to the board and could burn it out.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

It's an early to mid model PRT with a 4G board upgrade. The 4g is a big plus - you might need to upgrade the 4G cpu card to run the latest software depending on it's version. The vac system is also a big plus. Since it looks to be in a basement, dis-assembly will probably be required to get it out. To take apart and reassemble is not especially difficult, just take pictures as you take it apart. You should be able to download assembly manual from shopbot someplace or call them. Door size will determine how far you will have to dis-assemble. If there does happen to be a garage door, put casters on it and roll it onto a flat bed trailer with some extra manpower or use a flatbed wrecker to lift in into the back of a rental box truck.

The control software can be downloaded from shopbot, but check what design software they have with unit. You may need to spend a few hundred bucks to upgrade there if they have older software, but it'd be well worth it to get the new features.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha