Thread: Calling all you inventors!

Default Calling all you inventors!

I saw this on CBS morning show the other day. I know alot of us have idea for things that we either just draw up or fabricate stuff on our bots. Part of the reason most don't go much further is we don't know all the other hoops you need to jump thru to get something to market.

Apparently this company will take your idea and if it is voted on by a bunch of people and if they like it, they will fabricate it, market it, and sell it for you. Now from what i heard, your part is something like 10% which doesn't sound like a lot but for doing no more then coming up with the idea that might be pretty good.

You can also contribute improvements to other people projects for which you can earn some type of fee/percentage(?). This was not one of those flybynight infomercial "inventors helpline" that want you to pay a bunch of money but one of these internet startups funded by some internet mogul. It's at least worth checking out.... https://www.quirky.com/invent

I have an idea for several things...a thingamabob, a dohickey, a whatchamacallit among others
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Those items are 100% a scam.

Well not really a scam but they will not result in what you want.

They make their money by providing"services" that you will need to get a patent. The patent you get may be too broad, or to narrow, depending on the attorney that wrote it. By the time it is actually written you will have many thousands of dollars invested.

Years ago I got a patent on a GPS device which was pretty cutting edge at the time. A company that makes consumer GPS units (Name rhymes with "no harm in") immediately stole the idea and even went as far as swiping the graphics off of the patent.

When I went to sue them I was told to come up with about a half million dollars up front and not to expect much in the line of results.
    Ultimately I sold the patent, at a loss, to a firm out in California that specializes in buying up infringed patents and suing the infringers.

If you come up with some consumer device that will retail for $50 or less find a company that will make them in China and flood the market. By the time the patent people get around to you the fad will be long over and the world will be on to something else.

OTOH

A patent says a lot about the person who holds it. Sometimes it is staking out territory, and defending it. -Something most of US do not have the $ to do.

I am applying for a patent on a process I have developed. I am doing it because it develops a reputation that I want for me and my company. It gives me more cachet. I know what company will try to steal the idea. Heck, I even know HOW they will go about it... but I will apply for the patent, and use it BEHIND THE SCENES to sell this new process and resulting product improvement. I won't do press releases. I will slowly mete the info out to several BIG companies that can use it to compete with my 900# gorilla. And when they infringe, I am hoping that this competitive gorilla will peeve them enough that they may push them back... but they should not be releasing the data to him, because he is more of a threat to them than to me...

If you invent a $50 widget and want a patent on it, then go for it. Your grandchildren will be thrilled that their grandpa or grandma invented something and was able to secure recognition of same. It may inspire them...

I have not checked out Jack's link... and I don't want to squash creative thinking... keep an open mind. And be on your guard.

I think the "inventors helpline" type of operations is similar to what you talk about, the way i understood this, you do not invest any money, they prototype the object with their money, they advertise, ect...that is why the ultimate percentage to you is lower.
    And i know what you mean, you need to get in, monopolize, make your money before the chinese flood the market with your design cheaper.

Go watch this and tell me what you think...
    http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/quirky...ine-invention/
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

A million years ago I owned a software company and we sued HP on a patent infringement. We partially lost the case. I say partially because in the end they bought us out! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

I have seen a product that was on Quirky that was devoloped , marketed and sold to the public, There is a lot of companies that make money by selling services to help you get your product to market but i dont think that Quirky is one of them

A million years ago I owned a software company and we sued HP on a patent infringement. We partially lost the case. I say partially because in the end they bought us out! Russ

Now it all makes sense....you are a retired "Ba-zillionaire" with nothing better to do then play with trains.....AHA!
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

I have brought a few products to market. I have also helped develop a few for other people.
    Some were a hit and some were duds.
    The patent deal is mostly a joke for the small player.
    It stops no one from producing your product. It just gives you the right to sue them.
    Do you have enough money to sue someone who infringes?

I patent will cost $10,000 and up. Just how much money will your widget make?
    How many will you have to sell to recoup the patent cost?
    I am a firm believer in getting to market fast and making your hit.

I have told many inventors this "There are really good ideas and then there are really good ideas that make money"
    It is VERY hard to look at your idea and honestly tell the difference.

But I LOVE being involved from Idea to income !