Thread: guitar help wanted

Hybrid View

Default guitar help wanted

I want to build a guitar, My niece was recently taken from us in a horrible accident, among many things she was an avid musician. While I will probably never know the full impact she made in her short time on this earth.
    I have no experience with musical instruments, nor I am musically inclined in any way but it was her way of life to challenge herself and do thing no-one (sometimes even herself) thought she could do.
    I have watched some video's on the process of building both electric and acoustic guitars, while the acoustic was more her style the crafting is definitely an art and form and functionality definitely go hand in hand while an electric guitar can be ugly and still sound decent so I've decided to go that route.
    I have some white oak that I salvaged and have been waiting for it to tell me what is wants to be.
    I have seen several post of guitars that have been built and was hoping some of you guys could help me out with guidance, tips, tutorials, sources for parts, or anything I might not even know i need to know.
    The guitar will ultimately end up on display but close mutual friend would like If it could at least make it through on song.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me

okay i finish reading some of these articles, i realize that with my limited knowledge and musical know how it would work out best if I made the body (this is the part i really want to customize anyhow) and Use a premade neck.
    As for the other parts my head is spinning a bit right now.
    Again I hope one on you guys doesn't mind helping me out... I have a limited budget and this is not a for-profit project so i need to go on the low-end of things, a parts list would be really helpful or even better if one of you guys wanted to sell me a kit of sorts that would be awesome.

i'm really sorry to keep posting like this, I cant figure out how to edit my previous post. That being said I have just finished reading through all the 17something posts that come up when i search "guitar" here on the forum.

first i would like to say, I mean no insult to the guysd that make guitars as a profession and I know the end result will not be the greatest guitar ever.

second I have decided that what I would like to do is in fact purchase a kit but make my own body. It doesn't need to be anything top of the line. As i said previously it will most likely play one or two songs at a benfit event we are putting together and then end up on display.

third , I once again thank anybody for any input or direction they can offer.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/musica...tar-plans.html

http://drw-holland.nl/pdf/guitar_building_plans.pdf

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/musica...el-thread.html

http://www.grzsoftware.com/users/johnw.php

I think i have collected some plans and if you want me to try to find them let me know.
    Google is your friend search free guitar files, free cnc guitar files, ect.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

These guys have everything you need:

www.stewmac.com

They also have real live people to talk to, and that can often be much more helpful.

Condolences on your niece.

Here is a thread from a guitar guru at vectric that may be of interest
    http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12036