Thread: maple frame, tempered glass railing extension

Default maple frame, tempered glass railing extension

Just finished this job up yesterday - involved extending the stub wall which was serving as a railing on the main floor. The entry way is a drop of approx 5 or so feet from the dining room, and over the stairwell > 10 feet. The customer's son has (IIRC) some form of autism which reduces his fear of heights, and this is so he cannot climb over and the 36" high wall and fall. We actually have done similar jobs in the past for other customers, for the same reason.

Trying to do something like this as not to look like an after thought, and also to to be too bulky and ugly is a challenge.

How does this tie in with the Shopbot? Well, if you look closely you can see every upright, and the end cap that ties the glass & frame into the stub wall, has an ovalular (I made that up lol) pattern I cut into the face with one of the Whiteside router bits that is like a round over that comes to a point.

I did a few different designs and they liked this one the best (I did not, but after it was done I agreed it suited the rest of the work in the home).

The main frame is made up from a top and bottom pc of 3/4" thick hard maple, with 1 1/4" maple uprights (4" long) that are set into the top & bottom by 1/4". The groove for the 1/4" thick tempered glass panels is also 1/4" deep. I assembled everything in the shop before final shaping and sanding, then took it apart and finished it. Final assembly was done on site, lifted up on the wall and screwed down and plugged.

Just something simple, yet different. Thought I'd share a few cellphone pics I snapped.

The next thing to be done are new railings to go down the stairs to match this work, and also replacing the baby gate with more of a door (which will be a maple frame/ tempered glass panel as well) as well as a second gate/door at the bottom of the stairs.

AJ,
    It doesn't take much to make a simple design look good and you could have gone overboard and made it all gaudy but the rounded details and the who idea of the tall extensions is great. Good job
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Andrew, Simple design done well. On pointed roundover bit(I thought Canadians would have called them "Barley Twists" like the Aussies among us) just bought a whiteside 3/16"R to replace my magnates but haven't used it yet(looks better than the magnates. Can you remember feed and depth of cut you used on your oak, Had horrible result with oak with the grain and have stuck to cherry and maple with PRO's since. Thanks
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine