Thread: Software for Fixtures used In-line with SolidWord/Autocam

Default Software for Fixtures used In-line with SolidWord/Autocam

Hi again Shopbotters,

I am so pleased to see the help/activity/insight this forum provides!

I have a question for those who are up and running with their ShopBot. The company I work for machines aluminum with simple cutting patterns and have, therefore, purchased a trial ShopBot to explore its capabilities; perhaps more purchases to follow. Our setup requires an intermediate from our Design Department who mainly deals with SolidWorks/AutoCam.

What we are trying to do is port, from their CAD design, fixtures/jigs which will in turn be used to run major production with multiple setups (ie. multiple datums for production work of similar parts). We are looking for software where we can import said fixtures, pickup workpiece datums for reference of machining toolpaths. V-Carve seems to be a little lacking for this setup. Is Aspire a good option? Or would SolidCAM, etc, be the way to go?

Perhaps there are some tricks of the trade for those more experienced using V-Carve that we could use. I am familiar now with using the [FP] Command for Nesting and Offsets but the problem seems to be importing our fixtures' models so we can easily grab locations. Is anyone else machining in a similar situation that could give me some insight?

Thanks again!

Brandan Smith

Edit**: That's SolidWorks in the title, not SolidWord
    Last edited by BrandanS; 03-31-2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Typo SolidWorks vs. SolidWord

Brandon,

I'm not sure if I'm on the same page with what you're wanting to do, but can you export/import a .dxf outline of the fixture/jig and then position it within VCP/Aspire so that the XY zero point of the part is say at 0,0 in the file and then toolpath from there?

If you have multiple fixtures/jig mounted on the table, you can set and save the location of each of them and move between any of them at will. This part would take more time to explain and there are a couple of ways it could be done.
    Scott

You have a PM.

Paul Z

More specifically, I am looking for software where I can open up a .STEP or .IGS model, have a look at the part to machine along with the fixture, and export a toolpath in the same program.