Thread: Max depth of cut for Desktop

Default Max depth of cut for Desktop

I am new to the forum so please bear with me. I am confused about the actual (z) cutting depth capability of the Desktop machine. The specs indicate an "XYZ Movement" of 24" x 18" x 5.5" and a "Cutting Volume" as 24” x 18” x 3.5”. However, I have seen several previous descriptions/articles indicating max 4" vertical travel, implying max 2" depth of cut with a 2" router bit.

Anyway my question really is: Can the Desktop handle a 2" depth of cut in, say, walnut?

As a general rule of thumb, you can figure 1/2 the max z height since you have to allow for the bit and z clearance. Usu. when I have to try and get the max. depth possible, I set my safe Z to 1/4".

Bill

Default Z Travel

Bryan On the new desktops , they have 5.5" travel , today I machined the inside of a pc. of 3" dia. X 2" tall of PVC pipe with a 2" long bit in the spindle , also the MDF spoil board is removable for an additional 3/4" clearance , the desktop is a great machine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bryan, It appears that Bob got one of the first "New" ones and could cut through up to 2.75" stock before he has to go to work arounds. On anything older than his, cutting out 2" stock takes a little thinking and caution(and trued walnut). Getting additional proximity limit switches installed at the factory for upper Z limit and X24+ and Y18+ saves a lot of aggravation if you're going push the limits(and who hasn't) Doable on the "Old" desktops, easy on the "New"
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Yeah Bryan, you just missed a big discussion about this last week! I noticed that too, and that extra 1.5" is really critical to many pieces I make. I brought it up here and several people chimed in confirming that about a month ago Shopbot updated the Desktop's Z range to 5.5". So know that you'd be getting a 4" Z range if you buy a used Desktop manufactured before approx. February 2014.

Once Shopbot updates their PDF to reflect the new revision on the machine, this will all be cleared up for curious potential customers, as it's contradicting what the web page correctly says the Desktop can do.

(Mildly) Coincidentally I just went to see the Neil Patrick Harris version of the Broadway play "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" with my wife tonight. Seems funny to me now that 1.5" is causing such a stir here, too.

Default Z upper limit sw

On the new DT it has a Z upper limit switch

Default great news

Thanks everyone for clearing this up. I hope to buy a desktop within the next 2-3 months. I have some projects in mind that require a cutting depth of 2". It's great that the new model makes this possible without having to use work-arounds.

Good to know Bob, we had to order our 3 additional prox's extra for our 2 Desktops and had to wait for them to come up with a price(very reasonable). Did they do the extra X,Y's as well?
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Default Limit sw

Yes limit sw on all 3 axis
    Also I see that this is a option on the Shopbot web site for the DT , a spring on the Z axis .