Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a dust collector

Default Choosing a dust collector

I am comparing three- 2HP dust collectors to decide which one to buy.

Currently I own a 15 year old collector North State UFO 101 that I bought used
    Specs: 2 HP, 1150 CFM, 12 amps@220 Can’t determine the Static Pressure Rating

I’m considering a Penn State DC2000B
    Specs: 2HP. 1500 CFM, 9.5 amps@220, Max Static Pressure 9.5” $235

also a Grizzly G1029Z2P
    Specs: 2HP 1550 CFM, 9 amps@220, Static pressure 11” $325

Both the Penn State and the Grizzly claim CFM almost 25% greater than my old North State.
    Is it likely that these new machines can perform that much better with the same HP rating. I’m leaning toward the PennState due to the price, But I’d like to be sure I’m getting the performance advertised.
    Any help is appreciated.

I would say there's more to the specs that cfm and static pressure. You also have to consider how much dust is going to be removed. If it's just a bag type, a lot of dust is going to escape, or the bag will clog easily. A cyclone system seems to be more efficient at removing dust and keeping the filter clean. They do cost more. I guess it depends on what your requirements are.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Between those two they are pretty much the same. If one or the other were the limit of my choices no harm in saving the money.
    As John points out, that is not the best type but you can supplement them with a cyclone can or even a cyclone lid on a can prior to the bag and much less dust will escape. In fact, you will find yourself much more rarely having to empty the bag.

I used an inexpensive bag type 2 hp collector and this barrel cyclone that I built on the Thein design
    I replaced it with a 2 hp penny state cyclone but the old system actually worked better and was quieter
    Bob

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.p...+Bob_s#p116989

Phil,
    I've been running the PSI DC2000B for 7 years in my full time shop. Three years ago, I purchased this separator to upgrade it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Cyclone-Separa...lector+cyclone

Stunning performance - had spent $1,000 on metal spiral duct work and only had a few hundred left in budget - figured I'd get by for a year or so by adding this separator, then buying a bigger system, but this setup is still serving me well. A cyclone and proper duct work are the key to top performance.

jeff

I have an older version of the G1029Z2P. I also have a cyclone separator on the duct collection branch where chunks might be sucked up.

It works well until you forget to empty the collection bag.

Paul Z

Default Make sure you check...

Your piping losses for each length of pipe, each elbow, the sum of the longest run and our favorite hate, the flexible pipe. Each contribute to the loss of suction and I would hate to spend lots of money only to be underwhelmed with the suction in the end!

Look for dust collection books...

Small systems can yield disappointing results... Mine is a 3HP system about the capacity of the Grizzly and mine worked out acceptable.... not stellar...

The thing that I am most disappointed is the plastic gates. They hold vacuum just fine except when there is sawdust and the doors don't close tight. The aluminum units are 4-5x more money but I have LOTS of gates in my system with flex pipe to every machine.... I am not interested in dragging hoses around the shop.... Turn on DC, Open Gate, do operaton, turn off machine, close gate (to suck out that pesky saw dust from the gate) and finally the DC is off.

This is much better than breathing years of dust!!

Bob,

I also have plastic gates and had the same problem with sawdust preventing complete closure of the gate. I drilled two small holes (1/8"?) where the sawdust would collect. Do the drilling with the gate open and go through just one layer of the plastic. You don't need to go all the way through.

When a gate can't be closed completely, open the gate and use compressed air in the holes to blow the sawdust back into the collection system.

When the gate is closed, the hole is sealed off by the gate, When the gate is open, the two holes represent a leak of about 0.2% (nearly unmeasurable). The "leaks" are also in the right direction to help to prevent future clogs.

I was worried that the holes might whistle but they haven't.

Paul Z

I did a thread in January on homemade blast gates I have 4 of them on my system a 3hp grizzly with a homemade cyclone they work well have not had issues with dust in the slides and they have been used 7 days a week for the last 3 months.

Thread here http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18895