Thread: Setting up a SB for Commercial/Electric sign shop

broomfieldsigns@qwest.net Guest

Default Setting up a SB for Commercial/Electric sign shop

I'm considering buying a ShotBot for my commercial & electric sign shop based in Denver, CO..
    Could someone please advise me what equipment to purchase to get me going?
    - 4x8 OK or better jump to a 4x10?
    - Will a 3-1/4 HP router be sufficient to start with?
    - Is a vacuum table nesc. in the sign business?
    - What is a realistic budget to get going - $10G
    - Any sign companies using SB in Denver??
    - How thick can I cut Aluminum with 3-1/4 HP?

Please post here or email johndobie@qwest.net

Thanks a lot!
    John the sign guy

rgbrown@itexas.net Guest

John,

Some of the decisions you will need to take yourself. When ShopBots were much more kits than they are now, I built an 18' X 4' machine. I seldom need the length. I have a project that will take the greater length on occasion. I am continually cursing myself for not building a wider cutting area.

"- Will a 3-1/4 HP router be sufficient to start with?
    - Is a vacuum table nesc. in the sign business?"

Vacuum tables are all but a necessity for large flat panel work. There is no need for 'hold downs', just locator blocks or pins to initially place the piece. But, fine work can be done without a vacuum table and if the budget is really tight, it can be added later. For repetitive work, a vacuum table speeds operations by a large factor. Many are using a 'ShopVac' for the vacuum source and some of use are even cheaper and still have working vacuum tables.

I'm using a PC variable speed router. I believe the "3-1/4 HP" advertised is very optimistic as mine 'idles' at 6 amps an pulls 8 amps under 'a good load'. This is less than 1000 watts and will calculate to ~1.5 HP. Router power is not a problem.

One of the larger Variable Frequency Drive routers would be a real nice addition but, I have doubts one would want to try and cut with both the ShopBot and the router "under full load". I'm not sure how slow one of the VFD routers will run but the slow speed abilities would help in the cutting of aluminum. Check with the nice folks at ShopBot about the aluminum cutting part.

Ron Brown - rgbrown@itexas.net

"In general the art of government consists in taking as much money as possible from one class of citizens to give to the other."
    --Voltaire

jimavey Guest

Hi - I'm in Evergreen CO. Although not in the sign business I have made signs. I've also got a VinylMate attachment that allows me to cut vinyl signs too. (That's pretty cool!)

I cut mostly ABS and Acylic parts.

Porter Cable Router (7518) is plenty powerfull -

The vacuum table also helps this stock (like acylic sheet) down on the table when your router bit wants to lift it up. Also a dust collection hood also does double duty holding the thin sheet goods down on the table.

I find I still clamp and screw ( different approaches for different pieces) even with a vacuum table.

All my sheet goods come in 4x8 or 4x10 so I am happy with regular size ShopBot.

Buy the shopBot. It's a well thought out product.

I can show you where to buy the steel to make your own table - My table cost about $230 including hardware and paint. And if you want to see one in action let me know.

contact me 303-679-0156 or mailto:jimavey@aveyinc.com