Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Centurion Tools CNC bits...

Default Centurion Tools CNC bits...

Guys,

I rarely encounter such enthusiastic and professional treatment from a company as I have with Centurion Tools. When Ed Lang recommended them his endorsement was so over the top I was almost suspicious. You may have read a great review of them before so I won't repeat everything. I'll go to the jest of things you may find useful.

They supply tooling to large companies for machining that is often static. i.e. a furniture company may order the same set of bits over and over. As such their selection is somewhat dictated by previous orders but if you can find what you need in what they have the prices are very competitive. This is not to say they don’t have a good selection of typical tools, they do. You just may not find the same variety as from other commercial vendors.

They can custom mill almost anything you need but they are limited to what their tooling is capable of producing. Again, you might have to go to a commercial vendor to find those smaller bits or odd bits. Custom milled items may cost more and take longer to get but even so, the prices are very competitive and you get a custom tool.

They are use to customers knowing what they want when they call, don’t let that scare you off though, they are very knowledgeable about tooling and can offer help. I would suggest being courteous and realize their time is precious as is yours so “having some kind of a clue” when you call would be the polite thing to do.

Their prices are very competitive and I have received my first order of bits from them. I’ve found the quality to be better than expected. I looked a few of the edges under my microscope and compared them to the other brand. I found a very minor chip on one of the ¼” bits all the way at the top of the cutting flute as it came to the shank. It was only visible to the naked eye once I knew where it was and will not affect performance. Some of my other brand bits exhibited a pit here or there as well. I found nothing to suggest sub-standard tooling. I’d like to compare this to one popular brand “red” bit I purchased which exhibited multiple pits and micro chips fresh from the wrapper.

The 1/8” bit with 5/8” CEL has performed just was well or better than my previous brand. The ¼” compression bit has performed just as well as my compression bit from another vendor and doesn’t exhibit the same shrill “scream” I was getting from the previous bits. Cutting quality is indistinguishable. As for longevity… well at the price I paid if it lasts 35% as long I’ll be to the good. It has already cut about 8% of the expected life of the more expensive bit and cut quality on the last cuts I did yesterday were just as good as the first.

I’ve not had the opportunity to use some of the other bits yet, but as I continue to use the tooling I’ll add updates on what I discover. I’d encourage anyone purchasing bits to give them a try. I was told their new website would be online soon complete with online ordering. They are at www.centuriontools.com

Robert

Hi Robert!

When I wrote my first post about Centurion Tools I felt like I was writing an ad for the company. That was not the case, but I could not find any other way to write about them. It does seem too good to be true, that is high quality and fair price.

I hope you too find the tool life to be much longer than the "other" tools you have used.

I feel lucky that I have such a gold mine located in the same county with me.

I gave Centurion Tools my dull and trashed ShopBot table surfacing cutter that came with the starter bit set. I got back an insert cutter that I tested today for the first time after installing a new table on my machine. I was cutting my first layer of plywood that is bolted to the frame and found that I didn't have one of the carriage bolts down as far as I thought. Yep, cut the top of the bolt off. I knew I had messed up the new cutter. I let the machine continue and guess what! The cutter still cuts like a champ. I finished the table and glued on the second sheet. I just finished surfacing that one and it is as slick as glass!

It is nothing short of MAGIC what these guys can do with carbide. Those guys are "sharp", yes, pun intended.

Good cutting!

Ed

Ed,

Is the table surfacing cutter the same dia. How much did it cost and how much are the cutter inserts. Thanks

Jeff,

This is the prototype so I cannot answer any questions except to say it works great and the inserts can be turned over when dull. It is the same dia.

Sorry, I just don't have the information you want.

Email or call Centurion Tools.

Ed

Ed,

Thanks and I will call them in the next couple of days. I like the idea of the cutter being the same dia. I just haven't gone to a insert cutter because of the only ones that I have come across are so large.

What speeds are your running with the new cutter. Feed rate and cutter speed.

Jeff

Jeff,

Since I was testing this cutter for the first time, I ran it with many feeds and speeds. I started it at about 3IPS and 9K RPM and went all the way up to about 10IPS and 18K RPM. Since I was taking only 0.20" from the plywood, I would say I never found out how far I could push this cutter and still get good surfaces from it. The table was like glass at all of those speeds. The cut on the bolt top was also like I had polished it. Not that I am going to continue to test this cutting in metal :-)

Update: I used the 120 degree V bit... I'm surprised at how well it cuts considering it's design. It seems simple sometimes is just better. You can see my BankersDashBoard sign in the show and tell. The 120 degree cut the mask cleaner than the 60 degree bit that came with the SBot. That may be a factor of the angle rather than cutting edge. However, I'm pleased with the result.

The 1/8" bit has already outlasted my other 1/8" end mills. I generally would get about 10 good sheets per bit. It is cutting the 11th sheet of roosting grooves and pre-drilling as I type. The cuts still look clean.

The 1/4" compression bit is doing well also, I'd say I'm at about 40% to 50% of the expected life of my previous bit.

I'm really itching to try out this 3/8" roughing bit on some cedar. I've just been too busy to take the time to get my vac holddown mask ready and get the parts cut. On the bright side I'm using the last of my hand cut cedar part reserve today so I'll either have to cut more by hand or get my vac jig ready.

Robert

Batman,

Those roughing bits are quite the thing to look at. I have had some of the real large cutters in my hand the Centurion makes and they are impressive to say the least.

Your results of their tooling matches mine. I kinda felt like folks would think I was trying to "sell" Centurion Tools since they are almost in my back yard.

If there is enough interest in a ShopBot Camp in the central part of Virginia, I just might host one at my shop. You can bet that Centurion Tools will be here and we might even be able to take a tour of their facility. Talk about fancy CNC machines......

And another update...

I used the 3/8" three flute roughing bit today on cedar after getting my hold down working and my Z axis adjusted higher. WOW... I ran at 5 ips and 10k RPM and it was like cutting butter. The chips were a little small so I'm going to keep tweaking the file looking for that perfect balance but the performance was astounding.

I broke one of my 1/8" bits cutting MDF, I figured had the bit cutting for at least 4 or 5 hours of cutting time on various jobs before I broke it about 30 minutes into this job. It seems odd, I was using cheap MDF doing test cuts and I am almost sure I must have struck something in the material. My other 1/8" bit went on to cut the real MDF based product for several hours. I feel like I got my moneys worth out of the first bit and am well on my way to getting it out of the second bit as well.

My 1/4" compression bit works very well also. It's holding up just as well as my other brand bits if not better.

Here are a few pics of the 3/8" rougher and results...

21376.jpg

21377.jpg

21378.jpg

Update... The 3 flute bit was tough to deal with chipload and the heat finally took off the edge prematurely. By the math I was getting less than a .008 chipload. Fred made a couple of 2 flute roughers with lighter pitches for me that look more promising after today. I'm able to get in the area of 0.015 chiploads.

I also finally wore out my first 5/32" cutter. I've been using it to cut grooves about .015 to .02" deep. It ran 26 sheets before I found it too rough on the edges of the cuts. I did the math and the bit hung in there for more than 2.5 MILES of grooves. This doesn't include all the holes it drilled. With a diamond hone I'm sure I could touch it up and keep going. I wish all my bits could live so long!

I'm still pleased with the service and quality of the carbide.

Robert