Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curriculum?

Default Curriculum?

Has anyone written or is there any good curriculum for cnc routers? I just heavily incorporate cnc assignments into projects. Students catch on really quick and don't have a shortage of things they want to make. An international company has contacted me wanting to meet with me and my administration to see the curriculum we are using! I am a little concerned since I have none.

There are more then a few teachers on the forum. Kyle Stapleton is one you might contact for some ideas possibly. Look in their "signatures" at the bottom of their posts, many times they list that they are teachers and you could possibly contact them for info.
    There was a document floating around several years ago that an educator put together...here it is...Weise lesson plans from 2007, how relevant it is to todays programs i'm not sure but it might be helpful as a outline. If you want it let me know i'll email it to you but i think there is more recent material out there.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack, I'd like a copy of that!
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JNewhart View Post
    Has anyone written or is there any good curriculum for cnc routers? I just heavily incorporate cnc assignments into projects. Students catch on really quick and don't have a shortage of things they want to make. An international company has contacted me wanting to meet with me and my administration to see the curriculum we are using! I am a little concerned since I have none.
    Justin,

I worked with the local high school vocational teacher along with the curriculum advisory council for the high school to develop a 4 year program for those students interested in obtaining national certification through the Woodworking Career Alliance program. The thinking is to combine not only technical skills but business skills as well. Each semester has skills mastering classes (along with small projects to build) and there will be a final project that incorporated technical and some project management skills. The idea is to take year 3 and 4 students and put them into "project management rolls" to help the 1st and 2nd year students. This gives the older students some real world experience in running projects. The 4th year final project is to lead a team of 1st, 2nd and 3rd year students in the business and technical aspects of a large scale project. That might be a dining room set, a bedroom set, a large outdoor shed, or other project that can be put up for sale if the students agree to sell it when it's done. We are still working on coordinating efforts between the business and marketing classes to work with the vocational classes to help research markets for the shop projects as well as research what shop project would be marketable. Real world experience for a lot of students.

Technical skills list including learning how to use and demonstrate proper use of (1st and 2nd year):

SAFETY!!!!!
    Large Power tools operation and maintenance (planers, jointers, sanders, lathes, etc.)
    Small power tools operation and maintenance (ROS, drills, biscuit joiners, etc.)
    Hand tools operation and maintenance (planes, chisels, screw drivers, etc.)
    CNC theory, operations and maintenance (hands on is a 2nd year project)
    Basic vector design using Partworks (laying out vectors, node editing, etc)
    Tool path development taking into account efficiency
    Wood characteristics (movement, strength, inside and outside woods, etc.)

Business skills (1st and 2nd year):

SAFETY!!!!!!
    Create drawings to be used in the shop
    Creating a bill of materials for a project
    Create a basic project schedule (task sequencing is very important. Kids need to know how to sequence work to make it as efficient as possible).

In 3rd and 4th year, those students will be working on more specialized tools (CNC for instance) and working to mentor and teach 1st and 2nd year students. In addition, they will be creating their own projects that are due at semester and end of year tests. The idea is to put more and more responsibility on the older students (at least those who can handle it) and give them some real world knowledge and skills that they can present to a potential employer when they graduate.

It seems current school indoctrination programs are not preparing kids for real life. They are taught all kinds of theory but it is hard to find a junior or senior that knows how to deposit a check, balance a checkbook, know what taxes are, how to change a light bulb, how to check the oil in a car, how to change a flat tire, how to fix a leaky faucet, etc. These students are coming out theory rich and common sense poor. Not all kids can or want to go to college (for further indoctrination). These kids need some vocational and common sense training that will give them a leg up when they go out on their own so they can be productive members of society instead of more societal leaches.

That is what the new program at our local high school is all about.

I spend several days a month volunteer teaching at the school woodshop class. I also spend time on the phone and in meetings with the teacher to help him with challenges and projects he is working on with the kids. It helps me transfer my knowledge and experience to others (before I kick the bucket) and gets the teacher and students going in a productive direction and being able to utilize, the most efficient way, the limited 45 minutes they have in class each day.

Sorry for the long winded response.....
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Not all kids can or want to go to college (for further indoctrination). These kids need some vocational and common sense training that will give them a leg up when they go out on their own so they can be productive members of society instead of more societal leaches.

Preach Brother Preach!! Amen! I have been saying this for years. Not everyone is equipped to go to college...I never was. I took several vocational training courses right out of high school, car repair and i paid for a internship with a national home builder.
    If you teach someone a trade he can go almost anywhere in this country and get a job.
    Good for you Don
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Tom Bachman your email address you sent me in the PM bounced back to me
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

Don, where can I get a PDF or paper version of the classes you helped make?
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

Default Message?

I want to thank you guys for all the info! I need to check in here more often. I am new to forums and I forget to check in. I didn't receive any email about the curriculum. Am I missing it somewhere? Thanks again.

Default College bound students!

Couldn't agree with you more Don! We need to stop pushing every kid into college. The great thing that have noticed, after having a Shopbot for two years, is that college bound students as well as workforce bound kids find a common ground with CNC. They work together better doing cnc projects than traditional woodwork alone.
    I tell my students the benefits and job opportunities of learning a trade. Many times it is the first time they have heard the message of NOT going to college. I place students in apprenticeship programs, but usually after they have dropped out of college.
    Apprenticeship for cnc routing and machining is what the meeting with the motor company is going to be about.
    Thanks again all you guys.

Justin, Top left of screen "user CP", go to "edit options" check boxes you want for e-mail options. Don't forget "instant notification" if it's a time sensitive problem you're having.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine