Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curriculum?

One of things we have found with students and this new program is that it doesn't really matter what the subject is. If they are taught how to problem solve, work with and lead people, follow directions, have a good work ethic and high morals, those simple skills will apply to ANY trade or profession along with all areas of life and will provide them some discipline.

It is important that the kids have something to focus on other then video games, drugs, alcohol and street life. If they are given challenges, many will pony up and do what they can to meet those challenges. The important thing is that they are lead and mentored by someone, with high ethics and morals, who can pass on to them the tools and life skills they need to tackle the challenges in a constructive and productive way. Without the tools, they will simply flop around in the breeze until another breeze comes from a different direction and blows them somewhere else.

With no keel (firm moral and ethical foundation) to help keep them on course and no rudder (a true mentor and leader) to steer them from foul weather and bad situations (drugs, street violence and gangs) they will become another statistic in our ever degrading, unethical and immoral society.

It is unreal how many fly-by-night "contractors" go to a big box store, purchase tools for a project and then return them for a full refund when the project is done. Or the ongoing problem of the number of people who go to Costco to purchase camping equipment before the 4th of July holiday, go camping and then return the equipment after the holiday.

That is where our society is going at a fast pace. The current generation of kids is our hope of stemming this tide or reversing it because the current and past generations who are committing these unethical and immoral acts are, in my opinion, a lost cause because they are victims of the public "education" system - and I use that term "education" very loosely.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Don I agree with you about society today and how we have to train our youth to lead moral and productive lives. The education system is not doing justice to those students who don't want to go to college. A trade school is a perfectly acceptable option for learning instead of the academic college path. Our society in general looks down on student who don't go to college. Learning to work with ones hands and mind to be creative and solve problems is very rewarding.

You guys are right, most schools push kids into the "college" bound arena. I use to push college myself. But as I got older, more experienced, I tell my students that I can't, in good conscience, push college any longer. I have been pushing my students toward "Technical schools" and "Vocational schools" instead. I probably don't make any points with my administration, but I don't care. The kids I get out in my classes, generally, aren't college material, but certainly need some sort of post high school training.
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

In reality, my biggest problem has been with the parents of my students. They need to be educated as much as the students in their acceptance on "non-college" schools.
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

Since we got our shopbot last school year, I have been working to create some activities/lessons for kids. I have been using the Aspire tutorials a lot because they offer a great approach to teach HS students. Furthermore, they can customize the project to their own if they want.

Currently we have about 16 kids in my manufacturing courses.

Default Aspire tutorials

Hey Eric I have used those also and the online training that TJ does. They both are great training tools. I am going to take some student work with me to the meeting and lots of pictures! They are wanting to hire some of my students right out of high school and let them apprentice while taking classes at the junior college. The OJT would be a very valuable asset for these young people. This could be a great opportunity for my students!