Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking oils and walnut oil

Default Cooking oils and walnut oil

I have done some experimenting with different oils.
    All cooking oils goes raunchy in 3 to six months
    Walnut oil also go raunchy in 3 months.

The following oils develop bacteria that can cause food poisoning
    coconut oil, peanut oil, walnut oil, sunflower seed oil and corn oil.

Mineral oil did not change and actually the wood had less bacteria on the boards after a few days with the mineral oil.

My niece used my test in her biology class in college last week and ran the cultures for me.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Eugene…
    Thanks for sharing your info… I’ve always used Olive oil for bread boards and salad bowls as I was instructed in H.S., does it come under your “cooking” oil category?
    SG

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    Eugene…
    Thanks for sharing your info… I’ve always used Olive oil for bread boards and salad bowls as I was instructed in H.S., does it come under your “cooking” oil category?
    SG

Steve: the olive oil went raunchy but did not develop any Bactria. it was at the 6 months end for going raunchy. odor was not that objectionable.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Let me clarify my terminology

when I say raunchy the oil developed a odor, that I could smell that i considered not a good odor and it did not smell like the original oil.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Eugene…
    You got me wondering…
    A quick internet search yielded some interesting things about mineral oil and cutting boards. First, the term “mineral oil” is one of those terms that has been around so long it has come to mean different thing in different places. The EU doesn’t use the term. About the only thing you can be sure of is that it’s a petroleum based product and not plant based.
    The following are clips from various articles from the web, and we all know that if it’s on the web it has to be true!
    SG
    In general, edible savory vegetable or olive oils are not recommended because they tend to go rancid, causing the board to smell and your food to pick up the rancid taste.
    Unlike some synthetic materials, bamboo is naturally antimicrobial making it resistant to bacteria.
    Wood has some advantages over plastic in that it is somewhat self-healing; shallow cuts in the wood will close up on their own. Wood also has natural anti-septic properties.

Hardwoods with tightly grained wood and small pores are best for wooden cutting boards. Good hardness and tight grain help reduce scoring of the cutting surface and absorption of liquid and dirt into the surface. Red oak for example, even though a hardwood, has large pores, so it retains dirt even after washing, making it a poor choice for cutting-board material
    Wooden boards should never be placed in the dishwasher, or left immersed for long periods, as the wood or glue may be affected.
    A light food-grade mineral oil is a good preservative for wooden cutting boards, as it helps keep water from seeping into the grain.
    Because of its properties that prevent water absorption, combined with its lack of flavor and odor, food grade mineral oil is a popular preservative for wooden cutting boards, salad bowls and utensils. Rubbing a small amount of mineral oil into a wooden kitchen item periodically will prevent absorption of food odors and ease cleaning, as well as maintain the integrity of the wood, which is otherwise subjected to repeated wetting and drying in the course of use. The oil fills small surface cracks that may otherwise harbor bacteria

I've tried several finishes on my edition pieces, and I now use a product called Clapham's Beeswax Salad Bowl Finish for finishing many of my final pieces. It's also recommended for butcher's blocks, cutting boards and serving trays. It's a fantastic product, easy to apply with a rag, considered "food safe" with little or no impact on the air you breath while working with it, or your skin if it gets on your hands.

I really like the flat finish, and after a few hours, the stuff just settles into the surface and leaves your wood feeling like wood, not wood coated with oil, varnish, or shellac.

Obviously this is for indoor purposes, and reapplying every year or so really keeps the surface looking like the first day you did it.

Great product. If you go look for it to buy, just beware that the Clapham's Beeswax Polish is a different product although it looks very similar.

http://www.amazon.com/Claphams-Beesw...am%27s+beeswax

B., Not hard to make your own "Wood Butter". Carnauba is a harder wax and can be added, but not always needed.
    http://www.creative-culinary.com/woo...ils-and-bowls/
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

One can make the butchers block combination, but why, when all you have to do is soak your product in mineral oil no rubbing or buffing. That just adds time to your product and cost. Not counting the safety issue and mess while making the combination.
    I have a mob sink set up. I place my products in the sink close the valve pour the five gallon bucket of mineral oil in let set for several hours, open up the valve and let the oil drain back into the five gallon bucket. When it gets low I add more oil (mostly from gallon jugs of Mineral oil that I buy.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

I like that wood butter recipe but I don't know if I'll get around to doing that! Thanks, though - I hadn't thought to try to look for a make-it-yourself solution. I'm saving the link.

i have a friend that makes a bee's wax walnut oil product.
    I've used it alot and have never noticed a rancid or bad smell.

Brian