Thread: So I can cut brass, but should I?

Hybrid View

Default So I can cut brass, but should I?

I've read most of the threads and I know the Desktop can mill brass but is it worth the wear? I've seen a lot of really cheap mills on the market like the Shapeoko 2 and I could pick up one of them for this job if I needed to. For some reason I feel like I'd be using fine tailor's shears to cut wire, is that an unfounded concern?

This is the kind of stuff I'm interested in cutting.

http://i.imgur.com/Ldkkt3N.jpg

Go for it. Choose 'free machining brass' to ensure success. Use a single flute spiral-O and ALWAYS ramp into the cut - never plunge straight down or drill.

You'll be fine...no real wear or tear to worry about unless you start running it like an animal. Keep your stepdown/pass depth conservative.

Also, keep the chips from collecting on the Y rails so they don't get jammed in the bearing blocks.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Be interested in how you do Weston, Post pics as you go along please.
    Brady or anybody, for VCarving 360 brass for branding iron I've got 3 different 60 degree Vbit geometries; straight(onsrud), ?(Centurion), ? (Vortex). Haven't bought brass but would hate to ruin a bit experimenting. Any recommendations? Will be getting spiral "O" for clearing waste. Sorry Weston, but thought you might be interested too. For this design may have to go 30 degree or smaller.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

Brady, researching VCarving Brass on Vectric forum and got a link that said "HERE" and got a surprising "Blast from your Past" Well Done!
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=945
    scott P.
    Maine

Thanks...hard to believe that was like 6 years ago

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Brass often contains beryllium, which can cause heavy metal poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Be interested in how you do Weston, Post pics as you go along please.
    Brady or anybody, for VCarving 360 brass for branding iron I've got 3 different 60 degree Vbit geometries; straight(onsrud), ?(Centurion), ? (Vortex). Haven't bought brass but would hate to ruin a bit experimenting. Any recommendations? Will be getting spiral "O" for clearing waste. Sorry Weston, but thought you might be interested too. For this design may have to go 30 degree or smaller.
    Scott,
    Have you ever made a branding iron out of brass? I was looking to make one and tried one but didn't have much luck. I would love to know your feeds/speeds/bits, etc.

Ryan, No, never made it. Bought 360brass from McMaster-Carr and bought bits but then Kirk got laser and the branding iron took the backseat for awhile. Still panning on it but Dad has me in Button Mode for the foreseeable future.
    Sorry, but lot's of info in the archives if you do a google search and you preface with"let'stalkshopbot"
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine