Thread: Stripped spindle threads

Default Stripped spindle threads

Have shopbot buddy with AT-MT 1073-070 spindle. The er25 collet nut only grabbed 2 threads and as you might guess eventually stripped. Is there a source for an er25 collet nut with longer thread length? Or a recommended shop to make one. Have plenty of good threads on the spindle and many $$$ to replace it.

My er-25 nuts came from ShopBot for that spindle and they grab a lot more than two threads.

Are you sure the collet is properly snapped into the nut? The face of the nut and the collet should be flush. If the collet is stepped back then it's not seated properly.

I would have thought they should all be the same thread length as the whole idea of something like er-25 is it's a standard.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

What Adrian said + Get yourself a metric thread file to clean up those threads. I doubt you need a new spindle shaft (unobtainium on an HSD; $800+ on Colombo).

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by adrianm View Post

Are you sure the collet is properly snapped into the nut? The face of the nut and the collet should be flush. If the collet is stepped back then it's not seated properly.
    You know, when the guys complained of the problem i just looked at the threads and went "yup, broke" Never thought to see if they knew to snap the sucker in. I'm grateful for a large wide forehead to absorb repeated blows from the flat of my hand...