Thread: Instructions for installing my 10' PowerStick?

Default Instructions for installing my 10' PowerStick?

Hello
    Just looking for simple instructions on replacing my buddy's 4' stick with the 10' powerstick we purchased with the machine.

I got a 6' powerstick approved and it's on its' way here as I type this. I'll be swapping out the original and will be very interested in some insight on how it's done as well.
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

Pull the release lever/cam handle on the right side of the machine and lock it in the disengaged position. Pull old stick straight out. Put new stick straight in, being careful that the back edge isn't too high or low to engage the V-rollers. Then engage the cam handle and make sure you are fully engaged into the gear rack.

Aside from this, there may be outriggers that you have to install to assist in carrying the weight of the longer table. There should be instructions for this when you get your new stick. In the meantime you can read the documentation here.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

As Brady said.......I would certainly have support as Shopbot recommends.
    I have a 6 footer and use roller stands to support the stick even though SB reckons not required......it's just that with my heavy deck, spoilboard and material I just don't like seeing all that weight pushing down on the rollers.

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

We had a bit of trouble swapping ours out as the widths were different - ended up loose. Adjusting this IMHO is rather primitive. There are no offsets/cams - you loosen and tap with a hammer. You have to lay on your back to do all this. Consequently we dont swap out. There seems to be very few swapping out tables on a regular basis. The biggest problem is you lose all reference points on your table. Machine is two years old so yours could be improved in thus area perhaps.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

i suppose the real challenge i have is attaching the 3/4" mdf to all the small clips and sliding that onto the rail... we had a hell of a time attaching that thing.

any advice on attaching a bed to the rail?

thanks

Yea remember that when I changed my deck on the 6 footer.....it's a PITA....

I placed my deck on (with the holes pre drilled of course) then placed a T nut in the channel and moved it down (starting from centre out) with a rod until it hit a vertical rod in the hole.....then lifted the vertical rod so I could move T nut until centred by vertical rod.....screw in.......only quick way I knew how.
    And I didn't use all the screws either.....overkill.

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

It's easiest to put the nuts into the extrusion then put the board on and bolt down. Start the screws on the outer-most part of the sheet so that you can nudge the spoilboard as needed to get the next set of screws & so on. It's not that bad...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I use a blast of air to move the nuts down the T slot in the powerstick. I put the Allen wrench in the hole, blast the air to get it to move down and stop against the wrench - and then use the wrench to position the nut in allignment with the hole. Put the machine screw in and tighten, on to the next one!

I made a drill jig to drill the holes spaced properly and in line.

I rarely use the stock 4' powerstick (my 6' one is pretty much always on the machine) but both fit well on my particular Buddy.

I have never used out feed rollers with my 6' stick even though I have 1 1/2" thick MDF spoilboard a full 5' wide by 6' long. Never had any issues but I am considering going to an extruded aluminum bed/table if I can source one reasonably.

This is how I did it and it helps if you have two people. The deck is first put on the floor on one of its (X) edges where each column of 3 holes are perpendicular to the X edge resting on the floor, (the 3 rows (Y) are parallel to the (X) edge resting on the floor). Make sure you have identified which end of the Powerstick slides on the Shopbot and identified which end of the deck you want to go on first. Maybe a Sharpie mark on the deck and keep the finishing cap on one end of the Powerstick so you know the other end slides on first. So to start, first person supports the Powerstick and the other person aligns the T nuts as the first person slides the Powerstick on to the deck. Once two columns are on the first person uses the deck to support that end of the Powerstick and they just push the Powerstick when the second person says go...lol

Depending on the size of the Powerstick you may need more people or rig some supports to hold it in alignment with the deck. I made this diagram to help visualize what I am saying:

Attaching Powerstick.JPG

Once on the deck, tighten all the screws. You then lift the deck and align it to the V grooves and slide it on the Shopbot.

Hopefully, I described that right. I hope that helps.

Jimmy