Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Choo choo

By the time you get the epoxy on the foam that sucker weighs in at around 5 tons!

I admire the amount of time it takes to do the art/prep work for those of you doing these reliefs. I spend tons of time doing research for my buildings, then some smaller amount of time converting pix and drawings into Aspire code and then very little time on the Bot actually cutting out a structure. Like I said before doing one of these releifs is high on my bucket list! This choo-choo relief is really looking good, congrats.

Loading up the motor home and heading down to Maker Faire to join the ShopBot and Vectric gang in thier booth. I have been every year and it is a real fun event. Might even get to go play with some laser and 3d printers too. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Quote Originally Posted by chiloquinruss View Post
    The truck looks good, just need to lighten up a little on the wheel flange. Russ
    You are right. I seem to have fallen into a trap. The modelers caught me as I was looking for a closer reference pic of the Bettendorf trucks. Modelers make it look real. Of course in hind sight I know the huge flange is because its a model. I will be more careful in the future.

Correction applied. I guess when you do the work yourself there are bennies. lol

I did leave it slightly exaggerated so it will hopefully show when carved.

"Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

"I did leave it slightly exaggerated so it will hopefully show when carved." When doing the model buildings that is always an issue. If it is for outdoor use, then a 1/8 inch trim piece is just not going to work. I believe the term is 'artistic license'! The new pix of the truck looks great. Russ

Added a box car to the collection.

"Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

An update. I need a tanker and possibly a spline car.

Train pest here again, single dome tank car for era of engine and NO spline car but a flat car with an old farm tractor or three would be really cool! Also double the amount if ties under the rail, quantity wise not size, size is perfect. Cheeze this is fun and I don't have to do the work! Pretty cool. Box car looks great and is the right era, Pensy S2 round roof box very cool. Also don't forget a 'crummy' (caboose). Russ

So here is a quick mantle style dish I was messing around with. I tried a few times to get the smoke from the stack but it look like a...err bad.

I did do an envelope squeeze to diminish the rear of the train and I definitely lost some detail I will have to work on that when I do this scene for real.

Excellent job Joe! An irregular shape steeper wall dish with some sculpting to wear away the edges would look good too. Look forward to seeing the final product!
    Scott

That's a great idea too.

Just got back from Maker Faire so need to catch up. The mantle test preview is looking great. Nicely done. Russ