Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Choo choo

Default Update

So I decided that the mantle scene would lose way too much detail at the size I needed this piece. I took some more detailed in progress pics that you can see here. The file names tell most of the story.

"Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Nice Joe. Now I see why you were complaining about pics Took me a second (a minute) to figure out out the first few though(the rail). Came out beautiful after all that brain sweat.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

Thanks Scott. Sorry about the confusion. Its takes more time to add commentary to the slide show.

I wanted to do something totally different. And i have never seen this done before. There will be a boxcar on the tracks that will hold his ashes.

I will continue to work on the train and more cars as well. I will continue to update this thread.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Joe…
    Beautiful and thoughtful…
    Thanks for taking the time to document the progression!
    SG

My friend is taking delivery of the rail & carving today. Sure hope he likes it.

How did he like it Joe? Bet he was grinning from ear to ear
    scott P.
    Maine

Thumbs up

He was pretty stunned and he looked and looked. I gave him a bit of time because I knew it would dredge up some emotion for his dad. Then he said oh my god the train! And he studied the train for a few minutes said how much he liked all the tiny detail.

Then he said "I don't think I can put it on the mantle." I asked why. He said he thought the rail would be too heavy. His expression was pretty priceless when I one handed the thing over to him. He thought the rail was real. That it was a chunk of steel! Then I showed him the compartment inside the rail and was SO happy. I also had a short section of a rail half in the shop. He looked at it and the finished piece over and over. He said that he has never seen or heard of anything like it. He loves it. He said his Dad would love it.

I also made him a small box for his sister. That is an "N" scale train inside.

I the sides are square and its an optical illusion from the camera pic that it isnt.

This is one of my favorite deliveries to date.

Glad for you Joe, What compartment in the rail! I missed it too. His comment about the weight made me smile. Well done! So at $60 an hour---What kind of car did you buy?
    scott P.
    Maine

There is a 1.5" pocket in the middle the length of the rail. It opens from the bottom.

Tricky Joe.
    scott P.
    Maine