Thread: Motor or Control board Problems?

William's Architectural Workshop, Henderson Texas

Default Motor or Control board Problems?

Having issues with position loss. This is different than past position losses. I called shopbot the other day and went through steps afterwards of potential problems. Following is what was happening and steps I took to check for motor or control board problems: Heard binding/moaning sounds while cutting. Sounded like carriage was in a bind in some areas. Then after wards there were grinding or vibrating sounds as if the gears were slipping and positioning was being lost. After calling shopbot, I looked at the gears as I set it to jog back and forth. They were doing fine until I gently applied resistance to the carriage, as if it were cutting. The gears did not slip but actually began to just vibrate, almost trying to go in both directions. I dropped one motor and ran the same test for each side. They both did the same thing. I took both motors off, placed them on the table and ran the homing position command. Once I did this, I gave a little resistance to the gears and they were running strong with little or no problems. However, once I ran the jog command, I gave the same resistance to the gears and the were weak and began vibrating. I did each one and ending with the same results. Also, once I had the motors off I checked the carriage for binding and it was really smooth.

I emailed shopbot about my results but would appreciate any info from your vast experience.

Thanks Guys,

William Moore

What machine model/year, Standard/Alpha, etc. Check all connections at each end.

Sounds like the old controller blown driver scenario, but need more info.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    What machine model/year, Standard/Alpha, etc. Check all connections at each end.

Sounds like the old controller blown driver scenario, but need more info.
    It is a 2006 prs standard with the tower control box and not the newer aluminum control box.

Is it a 4G (Gecko drives) or previous to that?
    Scott

Is it a 4G (Gecko drives) or previous to that?
    It's Vexta stepping motors, model A7243-9412KTG 2-Phase 0.5deg/step

Did you hear anything back from SB? If resistance and connections are ruled out, it sounds like you have some bad/blown drivers. With the control box off, you could disconnect the x motors one at a time and test each one to see if it's one driver or both. With the old non 4G controllers, you could swap an accessory drive with a blown one to get by with, but if you have two out, it will need replacement. If you have a 4G controller with Gecko drive, you could reseat them to make sure there's not a bad connection there too. Best to call SB and find out what you have for sure for controller/drivers so they can get you fixed up.
    Scott

Did you hear anything back from SB? If resistance and connections are ruled out, it sounds like you have some bad/blown drivers. With the control box off, you could disconnect the x motors one at a time and test each one to see if it's one driver or both. With the old non 4G controllers, you could swap an accessory drive with a blown one to get by with, but if you have two out, it will need replacement. If you have a 4G controller with Gecko drive, you could reseat them to make sure there's not a bad connection there too. Best to call SB and find out what you have for sure for controller/drivers so they can get you fixed up.
    Thanks Scott.
    Unfortunately since I am an amateur tech guy and know very little about the inner workings of the electronics in the control box, I was confused about the description of these parts. However, since this little hick-up, I've learned that the drivers and motors are not the same thing, lol. In regards to one of your earlier questions about the drivers, I gave you the motor info, and the correct answer was that I do have the Gecko 202 drivers.

Frank from Shopbot is very helpful and patient with helping me and I do believe that I confused him just as much as he confused me, in the beginning, as I stumbled around in the dark, trying to figure out what is what. I sent him a video of what the actual motors were doing and it had him a little puzzled.

https://www.filemail.com/d/bzpoznbrhfanoxh

Frank believes it may be the speeds I am jogging in. I cut no faster than 3 ipm and just recently started jogging 4 to 5 ipm after reading higher jog speeds for the PRSstandard. I'm still trying to get the answer I need before I spend the money on the wrong parts. I think I will create a new post with the link above.

Thanks again Scott,

William

how much ram is in control compu? jog speeds depend on ram
    Vector Studio 22

I meant to type ips and not ipm. Is it possible to edit these threads once posted?

Quote Originally Posted by gc3 View Post
    how much ram is in control compu? jog speeds depend on ram
    Gene,
    I'll have to check that on Monday. It should have enough though because it is dedicated just to shopbot and artcam and I purchased the computer within that criteria.

Thanks for responding,

William