Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Software upgraded, pause/resume problems now

Default expensive materials

Sometimes you can create your toolpaths so the bit does not ever cross over your finished material which can prevent most damage.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

I have also broke bits, damaged boards clamps and table. It even destroyed my dust shroud assembly because it jogged diagonally into a clamp at about 100 mph. I have complained to Shopbot many times on the last several versions. It's like they don't care. Now if I absolutely must use it, I keep my hand on the big red stop button. There is a pause problem 6 out of 10 times.

I have a brand new dell computer (cheap) running windows 8.1, control software 3.8.12 and haven't had a problem yet. With the exception of the red stop button so I just use the space bar if needed. I'm happy.

Rik

I second that opinion that SB support didn't seem to care when I called them several times last year. So, my solution has been to go back to 3.6.46 with no plans for upgrading. My CNC is another tool in the shop, it does what I need it to do (at least on 3.6.46). I rely on it and can't put up with flaky behavior.

Bill

Just to reiterate the outcome for me:
    1> Support was responsive and did their best to guide me through the issues.
    2> Once issues were resolved after installing the latest control software, my Shopbot is running better than ever. I appreciate Shopbot's efforts at continually improving the software.

- No more lost comm's, likely due to large increase in data buffering.
    - The memory buttons on the keypad are helping me work more efficiently.
    - Ramping values for cornering no longer needed adjusting - things move more smoothly with the new settings - no need to go into the VR screen to tweak.

Shopbot has been shipping new machines and users have been running this version for over a year now, which is what made me realize the issues must be on my control computer's end.

Again, watch those "action center" warnings on your PC - if you have a red X by the flag in the right hand side of the start bar, it can cause all the issues discussed here. As crazy as that seems, it is what tripped up my machine. Once I opened action center, reiterated I no longer wished to receive update warnings, virtually all the issues stated ceased to be a problem.
    (I must state again, I had originally gone into task manager and instructed windows to never update, and these warnings still persisted!!!!)

Windows has way too many hidden/multiple layers of tracers, trackers and warning systems built in, and increasing with every new version . It seems more inevitable that the day is coming sooner than later that Shopbot will be forced to provide control computers with an operating system truly crafted for such purposes.

I think hesitating on updates for years on end will make it even tougher for the average operator to move forward if the day comes when there is no choice - small increments are better than trying to skip over multiples.

Was it easy for me? - obviously not. However, in the end, I have gained ground for the efforts expended.

jeff

I do not believe it is the computer. It didn't happen in the 3.6 versions. The old "your computer is not powerful enough or something is running in the background" is a poor excuse. I was originally running a laptop with everything turned off, and support told me it was not powerful enough. I spent $1800 on the most powerful desktop I could get and guess what? Same problems! The problems came and went as new versions came out. I personally think 3.8.14 is the buggiest version yet. Every once in a while when a carve finishes and it goes back to the home position, I get a not enough axes error and the whole SB software crashes and loses position. Support has no idea what is causing it. I do...... bad software.

Default Upgrades

SO having worked in the computer software industry for 35 years and 15 years as a QA Manager, I have found that UPGRADES are the worst thing that you can do. Testing upgrades are HELL. I am disturbed that something as PAUSE is not completely tested because PAUSE is necessary to avert injury to the operator.

SIgh....

I am running SB 3.5.0.12 built in September 2008 and an old vista system.

There is nothing new that I have seen that impells me to upgrade to a newer version..... NOTHING.

I am also disturbed that it is being said that the Shopbot personell have been less than helpful. I have never found that but because I don't call with real problems (aka... no upgrade), I find them helpful.

I will say that 50% of the forum bandwidth is to upgrades... maybe more.

There are no awards for keeping SB current unless you find stress and down time an award.

Ted... if you need help with QA, give me a call.

Thanks

Bob Condon

I upgraded partially because there were several features of the new software that were of interest to me and they have streamlined the way I work so it was well worth the time.

Personally I've found the whole pause and resume to be flaky in every version of the shopbot software I've used since 2009. The current one is no better or worse in my experience.

My gut feeling is that a lot of the variation in peoples experiences is more to do with the way Windows is set up on the machine rather than anything else.

It's a shame that the language the software is written in makes a port to Linux unlikely as I think that an ISO image that could be downloaded and installed on a dedicated box would solve a huge number of problems overnight.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

I have thought about going back to the 3.6 version but I cant live without the preset location buttons. I had problems with the accuracy Z Zeroing between bit changes so I installed a bolt in the table surface to zero instead of the aluminum plate. It is much more accurate this way and the preset location buttons make getting back to the position easy. I also wish they would spend some time making the probe software better. Nothing worse then a long probe getting stuck in the middle and having to restart. I carve many signs a day pretty much 6-7 days a week. My PRSAlpha runs 12 plus hours everyday, maybe that's why I see more software problems then most users not running the bot as long.

I've kept up to the latest updates for over a year now without any issues what so ever.

Still using the laptop I bought specifically to run the machine in January 2012. No internet, nothing on it except aspire and shopbot stuff.

I use a second computer for everything else and to go on line.

Just got the record, as with everything else in life, you only hear about the negatives/problems. And I am sure there are many more like myself who are running without issues.

Just another perspective. I'm not belittling the issues as I am in business and know what any pc of equipment down can do to cause grief. But if just might not simply be the software or we'd all be having issues, no?