Thread: Software upgraded, pause/resume problems now

Default I thinks we may have found. Commonality

Andrew

My machine is only used as a control machine
    Never on the internet
    Never with virus protections

I think the folks at shopbot need to explain their testing environment and
    Provide recommendations.

Agree with Andrew that the current version is dimply bullet proof and comms issues seem a dim dark distant memory and we are also on Win 8 which loads ready to cut in 31 seconds.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Normally I would agree with everybody that says 3.8.14 is good, but yesterday dialling in a new bit for small diameter circles I paused cut after half a dozen holes to check bit temp. Mouse paused move but spindle kept going until spacebar hit (several seconds with a "stopping" showing on screen). Normally I would not resume, but have followed this thread, so hit resume and watch close--good thing I did as spindle DID NOT START. I'd Paused at full retract during an X,Y move. Control computer Black Vipered and NEVER been hooked to internet. Wondering if a reinstall might help, but have gotten away from Pause/Resume and normally just Quit and RR. I DID have 3 VCP files open as I'd been importing and exporting and saving templates, but it's never been an issue before. Should I have limited open VCP files to 1? Or should that have nothing to do with it?
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott,

Interesting that the spindle did not restart. This happened to me in the last release of 3.6.

Paused, resume, dialog box popped up to start spindle, clicked OK, spindle did not start, drove non spinning bit into a $100 piece of rustic hickory plywood and broke the bit off. It was a $40 compression bit.

Very pissed. Won't ever try to pause and resume again with this machine. Pause/resume is one INCREDIBLY unstable "feature".
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Scott,

There has been an ongoing issue when pausing with the spacebar/enter/mouse at just the right moment, typically with files that have a lot of jogs from cut to cut such as v-carving, many successive holes, etc. and if you pause at just the right point (like right when it starts to jog to the next spot), you can get the 'stopping' message for a long time or the tool will slowly wander off before stopping and possibly even start jerking around some before stopping.

Reinstalling will not help, having VCP files open in the background didn't cause it, Black Viper setup has nothing to do with it, it just happens if pausing is done at just the right moment. I can't make it happen at will, but I can make it happen if I try it enough times and hit it just right. It's been reported for over a year and they can't seem to nail it down. I've had the same issues on an old cluttered internet connected PC on Win7, a barebones XP, and a fresh new custom build totally dedicated Win7 PC. Default ramp settings the least likely and custom ramp settings most likely.

Upon resuming, it should ask to press the start button first and upon doing that the spindle should start and then you can hit ok to continue on, but if you have had or noticed any strange behavior at the point of a pause, I'd recommend not resuming if at all possible or at the very least, be vigilant and at the e-stop.

I don't know why they can't nail this one down, but it's apparently not something that they can repeat in house. I've sent numerous files and the steps to trigger it.

I've also seen the 'Not enough axes' error. Be aware of this one, because as you click through the error messages to finally get back to normal, the DRO's will read a random number of thousandths off in XY (possibly Z too) when it should be 0,0. This one bit me good before I caught what was happening. In my situation, a day of PAUSE UNTIL commands seemed to trigger it. Also reported, but no reply on that one yet.
    Scott

Thanks Guys, going back to not resuming for the moment. MIGHT have hit at beginning of X,Y move but know it was at full retract. Seems like it was stopping much faster when fresh install, has been slow all this week during all kinds of moves, I just hadn't resumed in awhile.
    scott P.
    Maine

Just one more thing, last week I rebundled my wires and was going to take DirtBags off and triple check how I bundled to eliminate "crosstalk", but slow response to spacebar and mouse stops are the ONLY flaky behavior I've noticed this week. Trying to remember which are the Most important wires besides USB to keep separated that May cause that slow response. Could be my fault.
    scott P.
    Maine

Full retract and right at the beginning or during the beginning of a jog to the next start point is the absolute worst moment to pause, but is generally the exact moment at which ones brain signals the hand to hit the spacebar because something is wrong or you didn't want to do what you're about to do or you just though that was a good time to do it!

has been slow all this week during all kinds of moves
    You didn't happen to change your ramp settings recently and forget to reset them to defaults? Don't do it with the fill-in sheet 'Reset', as it's not always the values for your tool. That's something that has always been wrong and hasn't been addressed. I've always thought that 3.8 has been a bit soggy to keyboard/mouse input and this has been across 3 different PC's.

Best to keep your USB and spindle cable non parallel to each other and other cables as much as possible.
    Scott

Thanks for help Scott. Nope, Haven't mucked about with settings yet, got bogged down with other stuff. Thanks for cable info.
    scott P.
    Maine

I cant say I have used the pause/resume often... so on that I will not comment.

My point was, there are some of us who are using the most current update very successfully. AGain, I am not suggesting these issues are not real and important to fix.

AJC