Thread: Barrel Sign Project

Default Barrel Sign Project

POTCRumBarrell - Wood.JPGHey guys,
    Working on this project. The recipient is a big fan of anything pirates and wanted a bar sign with a pirate theme. This is what I came up with using aspire. Towards the bottom I intend to add a functional barrel tap so it can be used to dispense liquor. They approved the design, but I just wanted to get some feedback regarding anything I could do to make this better or more eye catching. size is gonna be approx. 20in H x 13in W. This was just an idea to send for approval, I still got to clean up the edges and clean up the fonts before I get it ready for cut. Sign will be painted.
    POTCRumBarrell - Wood.JPG

Default aspire 101

Looks good to me. I have a question and i guess i missed this in aspire 1.01. but adding the pirates head to a convexed barrell. If you add it to the barrel, the barrel shows through but if you merge it the edges are too tall. How did you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy1296 View Post
    I have a question and i guess i missed this in aspire 1.01. but adding the pirates head to a convexed barrell. If you add it to the barrel, the barrel shows through but if you merge it the edges are too tall. How did you do that?
    I did add the Pirate to the Barrel. To achieve the look, I raised the base height of the pirate to stick up past the curvature of the barrel. The downside to this method is the edges of the pirate component are really tall. The pirate shape does not conform to the edges of the profile. Not sure if there is a way to do that besides using the Project toolpath onto 3d model feature which I will experiment more with once I finish the overall design and get to toolpathing. Fun! Let me know if theres an other way to get this done.

Looks good Shawn, the only thing I'd say is it would look nice if you could get the sword tips to be exposed instead of behind the band (Wow, I've been working with a model too long today and just like others have said in another thread, I tried to rotate the forum image).

The trick to make the pirate to conform, should be the component order in your component list. In the attached image, the eagle is on top followed by the diamonds, both set to merge, and then the base convex shape is last at add. The eagle on its own, is not curved. I think that the interaction between order in the list and combine modes can be the most difficult thing to get a grasp on. Just when I think I have it figured out, it doesn't do what I'm expecting it to.

Haven't tried it myself, but another option might be the multiply method. Take a look at that tutoral video.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

When pasting a relief Artcam has the option to project the relief onto your existing relief, basically wrapping it onto the barrel or whatever. Easy as pie with just one click. I don't use Aspire but I would be surprised if it isn't in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    The trick to make the pirate to conform, should be the component order in your component list. In the attached image, the eagle is on top followed by the diamonds, both set to merge, and then the base convex shape is last at add. The eagle on its own, is not curved. I think that the interaction between order in the list and combine modes can be the most difficult thing to get a grasp on. Just when I think I have it figured out, it doesn't do what I'm expecting it to.
    Scott, That worked out like a charm. It looks so much better now. I did play around with component orders before your comment, but couldn't figure it out. The trick like you said is the right combination of add vs merge vs component order. Learnin everyday! Thankyou :-)