Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Business Idea...HELP!!!

i-ROUT LLC DIMENSIONAL CNC ROUTING, Williamstown New Jersey

Default New Business Idea...HELP!!!

Hey guys...I have 13 years with CNC plasma/oxyfuel cutting systems. I'm looking to buy a shopbot and start my own business. My current day job, I'm a manufacturing engineer. Long term thats not for me...I kinda like drawing / cutting stuff. What kind of learning curve do you think I will have cutting wood for the first time..and how much success with the business for start up's do you see..home based.

I wanna start out with household 3d signs / pictures, custom tables, help out local contractors, woodworking shops, sign makers.

I look forward to your responses.

Hi Nick!

Considering the above, I'd say cutting force and hold down. You sound familiar with computers and CNC machines so you'll have a soft start.
    Plasma and oxyfuel does not push on the material but a tool bit is a different game... The rule to get a good cut with thermal process with metals are quite different than the milling action of a router bit on woods, plastics, foams, composites and so on.
    The process you mentioned involve 2D only while the CNC router can "carve" 3D (or 2-1/2D if you prefer); get familiar with the milling/routing CAM software in advance if you can.

Looking forward to see you around!

Hi Paco...

Thanks so much...good to know. For software...I will be using the PW coming from shopbot but also...I would like V carve, cut3d and photo carve...the whole package...what are you thoughts??

Also I've been reading the onsrud guide for cutting speeds, depths and so on....can you recommend anything else...

Thanks and talk to you soon.

Hi Nick,

June 19th of this year marked my one year in the shop full time. I have not looked back and wondered how it would have if I stayed at the "job".

I also have a 50w laser engraver and Paco is right on target about the forces while cutting..... With the laser, I am just laying parts down and the parts sit still while being cut or engraved.... With the CNC, I have to make sure they stay put while pushing a cutter around on and in them.

You will find all kinds of information in this forum about how to hold parts. Try to find a ShopBot Camp or Users Group near you and go and talk to the guys first hand and see what is working for them. Maybe even find a ShopBot close to you that you can visit for a time or two.

I use Corel Draw X3, Part Wizard (but not much anymore), V-Carve PRO(3.1) and Photo V-Carve. Since I do everything for the laser in Corel, I find it easy for me to draw there and export a .eps file into V-Carve PRO for tool path.

Keep us posted, sounds exciting.

ed

Nick,

PW will be a good start and Vectric V Carve PRO would be the upgrade of my choice. Cut 3D is for 3D CAM (toolpathing 3D model) which sooner or later you might want to try yourself at. If you can afford it why the whole package; if by any chance you decide to "etch" or engrave images and photos you'll save yourself $ome dollarS. If you need to make a choice, go with VCP first.

Lots of good stuff on Onsrud Web site but some apply to large cutter working under high production mode... sometime you just prefer a little more wear on you cutter and a better cut... still it depends on many factors; spindle or router motor, toolpath programming, holdown... I'd say start with not so expensive tool bits. Keep the exotic tools for later. Practice with insulation foams, MDF, woods leftover lying around...
    Whenever you question about something, use the search tool to see if the question haven't already been discussed before... you may need to figure more than one keyword... There are benefit to browse the old archives... if you don't find it, Botters will be from every where trying to help you.

Bot on!

Thanks Guys...I think I've definitely made my mind up...shopbot it is...but most importantly...it's comforting to know that there is a forum like this with people out to help...Thank you all for your input. Someday I hope to help you all out as well.

Some day’s I am positive...about new business, other days negative...which is good I guess. But having feedback like this when I am having doubts makes me feel like I can get the information I need.

Great advise...Thanks Paco / Ed

Ed....just curious....why Corel and not something native to CNC routing like Rhino, Art cam...Is this something you selected for your work or do you have pre4vious knowledge...Reason for me asking is that I use Solid works day to day...

Hi Nick, Looks like you've made a good decision. For what its worth your target business areas are certainly viable so the questions are now more related to
    "how do you go to market?"
    And "How quickly will you become proficient in your chosen areas of interest? and
    "How much time will you spend developing skills and a reputation"
    So here's my top 10 list for your consideration.
    1) Get your shop, and tools up and running.
    2) Become familiar with commonly used materials and suppliers in your area.
    3) Get as many material samples as you can and try to make samples for your showcase, friends, and potential clients.
    4) Figure out how much if any finishing you want to do, how you are planning to do it, and how much time/cost things really take to complete them.(not just machine time, hours from sales call through design, material costs, handling, and manufacture completion)
    5) When you have all that ready and photographs of things,(Take pictures of EVERYTHING you make) and start showing off your work either via printed materials or web site or both.
    6) Then determine where potential customers are and go see them for input, price points, interest, competition, new ideas, and feedback.
    7)Then try to understand the value of your work and market pricing in your area so as not to undersell your work.
    8) Start to take orders whenever you feel you can actually do the work and use those opportunities to "figure it out" with someone paying for your materials and training. At least then you will cover your costs if you need to redo something or run into something unexpected. (and you will).
    9) When you have an order, things start to happen. So do your research here and elsewhere on how to best accomplish a project, ask for help,(you'll get plenty from the generous & experienced consultants on the forum)
    10) Then its all up to you but given lots of nights & Week ends, a few broken bits, and scrap materials, you will find it rewarding and move your way up the food chain in proportion to your investment in time, trial & error, and ability to satisfy customers and leverage the "WOW" factor every opportunity you get.

Keep in Mind every potential customer can get what they want elsewhere or already do. So what will differentiate you, your company, and your work from the rest?
    Folks buy from folks they like, trust, and who perform by providing value and quality in their products and service.
    The answer is mostly YOU my friend.
    Best of Luck

Ed....just curious....why Corel and not something native to CNC routing like Rhino, Art cam...Is this something you selected for your work or do you have pre4vious knowledge...Reason for me asking is that I use Solid works day to day...

Nick,
    When I bought the ShopBot I had a son at home who told me that he could draw anything in a CAD package that I needed. I saw the value of the CNC machine and left the drawing up to him. Short story is he is now married and has no time for helping me with CAD/CAM stuff. I also bought a laser engraver about the same time. All of this was getting ready to go out on my own. (See #'s 1,2 and 3 in the above post). The laser was the tool I had to get going on right away and Corel is the standard package most every laser owner uses so that got the most attention. Part Wizard came with the CNC so I was working with it at the same time. I bought V-carve wizard when it was first available and later upgraded to V-Carve PRO. One day the light came on that I could use Corel to draw with and export to V-Carve PRO to tool path. That is what I am doing now because I can run Corel and feel good about it. Comfort factor only. I also bought Turbo CAD Deluxe V12 and it sits on the shelf behind me as I cannot learn but so much at one time. So the bottom line is use what you are comfortable with to get the job done.

Work on getting samples out to folks and getting practice holding things tight to the CNC. The rest will fall into place in time.

Ed

OK...Guys...you've all be so forth coming with information...Im like a sponge...I'm taking it all in...

One last thing...would it benefit me this early in the game to head to Las Vegas to attend the 2007 AWFS Fair....or will this be a waste due to my current involvement...

Anyway...Thank you all so much....really glad to be a soon to be bot owner...

AWFS show..... Las Vegas........ and you are asking IF you should go?

I have not been to Vegas for many years but I would use the AWFS show as a way to get there if I could!

Spend the money on CAD/CAM software for your ShopBot and some materials to cut up and test with.

Stay home!