Thread: Gnewberry Gnome

Default Gnewberry Gnome

My friend Jerry looks alot like a gnome (even he admits that since I showed him the Gnome book) so I had to make up a giant version.
    He works for the local newspaper (The Newberry News) so I had to include that just in case some people didn't get the connection. I think I'm going to pose him all over the area and send in pictures to the Editor... He's slightly under 3 feet tall (the gnome, not Jerry!). 6 layers of 2" blue foam...
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Gnewberry Gnome turned out great, Mike! I bet Jerry loves it, too!
    Ron Sloan

Ron,

I'm going to take him over there on Monday and see what Jerry's boss thinks of my idea of having him show up all over town and sending pictures to 'Letters to the Editor'. Could be a regular thing or a column filler. I already have my dentist buddy talked into having little Jerry come to visit his chair. I'm pretty sure most of my other business friends would love to have him stop by. Free publicity and probably a good chance for the paper to sell some ads... Hmmmmm... I wonder when the next Chamber of Commerce meeting is? Ha ha ha!

Mike

Mike,

What a great idea - I love it! And everybody benefits!
    Ron Sloan

Ron,

I didn't make it Monday as my sister came to visit but we stopped by the newspaper office today to show his co-workers what I had done. They have already come up with a lot of ideas for what we can go with him (He's going to visit the dentist and he'll probably be in the 4th of July parade. They're also thinking about doing a 'Guess the location' picture contest as a regular newspaper item. He's a real good egg to put up with all of us I guess (but I'm not leaving him alone with the gnome just in case!)...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikeacg View Post

(but I'm not leaving him alone with the gnome just in case!)...
    LOL - The Gnewberry Gnome may become as well traveled as the "other" Gnome!
    Ron Sloan

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Can you post more about how you modeled and made it ?

Nice work! I am with Gene, info on modeling and construction would be beneficial and appreciated by many. Thanks, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Ron - I had forgotten about the 'traveling' gnome! I think I saw a commercial over Christmas with him in a hammock...

Gene and Chuck,
    I use Sculptris for a lot of my 3D work simply because it is so easy to use for the way I work and it is free. I have started using Blender a lot more because, despite being less user-friendly, it has a lot more capability (Both programs are free which makes me happy as well... I did break down and buy a book entitled Blender Foundations off Amazon for about $20 over Christmas and I have improved my skills immeasurably). Now that I have learned how to 'rig' the models (basically building a skeleton for animating), I can use one model to make different poses. I believe that the original model for this project came from GrabCad (I've had it for a while so can't remember where I got it) so I didn't have to start from scratch on this one, just modify it a bit for my use. I worked it in Blender, saved as an STL, imported to Aspire and made 2" slices on layers so I could cut it out of 3 - 2' x 3' pieces to fit my machine (let me see if I can save a picture of one of the slices to help you see what I did - I have to go to a different computer...). The finished piece is 8 layers thick (the 4 outside layers fit on one sheet), painted with external primer and Nova paints for a good, long-lasting finish.

Mike
    Last edited by mikeacg; 05-22-2014 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Hit enter too soon!

OK, I lied. I used 2 pieces of 24 x 36 foam and one 24 x 19... Slice one is the 2 innermost slices, Slice two is the outer 4 slices. Hope this helps! Any more questions, feel free to ask!

We visited the hairdresser today to get his beard trimmed...

Mike