Thread: G250x

Default G250x

Who uses the 3" indexing head on the Desktop? By 3", do they mean that's the clearance from center to base, or total diameter of the workpiece that can be carved? Does the 3D software include a library of projects one can choose from to get started? I'm specifically looking for chess pieces, maybe move on to nativity scene pieces and religious icons (Buddha) and animal figurines after that. I'm excited about Shopbot having that option as an add on, since Rockler has only been giving it lip service.

It's a little better than 3" total diameter. If I recall correctly, it is about 1.625" from drive center to table bed.

No. No software for doing 3D incremental rotary machining, or 3D 'rotary' models are included. At the very least you should invest in Aspire. You can then setup 3D models to be machined 'in the round' using the Wrap Gadget. You can do some rudimentary stuff with PartWorks/VCarvePro and PartWorks3D, but if you want to cut to the chase, Aspire should be on the list.

For content, you can purchase 3D models from the web, or send them out to be laser scanned - which is particularly nice if you have hand carved or sculpted pieces you want to reproduce.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I have been using DeskProto as CAM software for full 3-D rotary machining. For hobby use you can get a very reasonably priced license. The professional license (same functionality) is not exactly cheap. The software is very capable for 3D but has a rather steep learning curve because the workflow is different from e.g. Vectric software and due to the numerous parameter setting with ample screw-up opportunities but it does work very well. Since it is not integrated with the Shopbot software you would need to import the G-Code.
    I did some chess pieces for test and purchased the 3-d models from Turbosquid.com

Deskproto is great for full 3D models. It works perfectly with a ShopBot - I've used it (Professional Multi-Axis version) for years. GCode conversion is not necessary. However, it does have a learning curve if you are used to the Vectric stuff. It also doesn't let you do more advanced things like projecting 2D toolpaths onto your rotary model without a whole lot of workarounds. Aspire really shines in that regard. Aspire gives you a full subtractive rotary toolpath simulation. DP does not - you can only see tool radius compensated path lines.

If you only do rotary work occasionally, then invest in Aspire. I use both because rotary files of a certain 'type' work better in one package compared to the other. The Vectric stuff unwraps a 3D model so that it is flat. Deskproto does not; it toolpaths the full model as is. Take each of them for a test drive & decide for yourself.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com