Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on SCREAMING BIT

Default Question on SCREAMING BIT

I bought some mortise comp centurion bits and tried the first one out today. It cut fine, but the scream/squeal ran me out of the shop. I tried to run faster, slower, changed router rpms and nothing helped. Is this just the nauture of the beast? I have just been running down spiral bits before this and they run quiet.

Thanks

Kenneth

Kenneth...
    Let me guess... it is a 1/4" bit and you cant go below 12K rpm. Thats where they start the screaming. Can you increase your move speed?
    Gary

I took it down to 10k rpm and no change. I sped up the feed speed to 3 ips ( it was at 2 )

So you are saying I need to push it faster? how much faster?

There is no sign of burning and I was running some of the same files that were fine with a down spiral bit with the same settings.

Kenneth

Kenneth...
    Not saying I eliminate the noise, but usually cut around 10.5K @ 5-6ips, .700 per pass. Noise is lower and bit stays room temp.
    Gary

I had the same experience when cutting some mdf on the climb path of the cut, not sure why it was doing that.

I am wondering if the normal compression (non mortise) would do the same?? I am running prefinished ply cabinet parts, but I run the same stuff quietly with the down spiral bits.

I ran climb .68 deep and finish pass conventional, and it screams on both cuts.

Kenneth...
    There have been other posts on the noise of 1/4" comression bits. I dont think its peculiar to the mortise compression or Centurion. The 3/8 make noise too, but mortise comprssions are by far the best tool for cutting PF plywood cabinet parts.

You can use a normal compression if you are not cutting dados. The standard compression has a higher up spiral section, and can actually cut outlines faster, but chips the surface when cutting shallower than the bottom of the downspiral section. Wear ear protection!

Gary

I have big radio muffs, but this noise still makes me want to use the cabinet saw. lol

Kenneth...
    Use the muffs for the saw too! We both know that cutting those panels on the saw would be "just wrong"!
    Gary

The cabinet saw is like a whisper compared to the compression bit's SCREAM. I've been "wrong" before, so that doesn't bother me much.
    KR