Thread: Tool Change Position on Shopbot PRT Standard

Default Tool Change Position on Shopbot PRT Standard

Hi,

I am helping a friend set up a Shopbot PRT Standard router running Version 3.6.46 software.

This router does not have a tool changer but would like to make a macro to bring the router to a predetermined position at the front of the table to initiate manual tool changes

If I run X - Y Zero off the prox switches I can easily make a macro to accomplish this operation giving it a predetermined position (i.e. X 0, Y 36) within the macro. While this would work, it takes a lot of time to run macro.

He is also using a X - Y laser so that he can reset the X - Y Zero to any position on the table. When this is done I lose the original X - Y Zero setting.

Question: Is there a way via a macro to still bring the router to a predetermined position on the table for manual tool changes without running the X - Y Zero routine and then adding the necessary offset to bring the router to a predetermined tool change position? The goal would be to bring the router quickly to a predetermined tool change position no matter where the X - Y has been set on the table. Is this possible????

Any input, help would be appreciated.

John

I first set my material X,Y to 0,0. I then jog the spindle to where I want to make the bit change (X,Y,Z), I then just replace the last lines in the generated .sbp to jump to that location instead of where Aspire/Partworks puts it (0,0).

Turn spindle off!!!!
    JZ, 3.5
    J2, to the location you wrote down in the first step

I then simply copy and paste these last few lines of code over the other code that was in the .sbp file. Works great.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I cloned the code from the Z zero that is used when you want to zero from the same spot each time.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

I think Table Base Coordinates is what you are looking for:

http://www.shopbotblog.com/index.php...e-coordinates/
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Default Setting Tool Change Position Macro

Hi,

First, thanks for all your input. I would have replied earlier but I have been busy trimming large, i.e. 24 inch diameter, branches off a tree that overhung my workshop. Glad that is done.

Programming is not one of my strong suits but I get the idea of macros etc. and how they work. My friend does most of his design work in Flexi and imports it into Artcam Insignia where he assigns the needed toolpaths and sends the post processor files to the shopbot. He does not have a automated tool changer on his Shopbot PRT and does all his tool changes manually. I was just trying to make a macro for him to jog the router to a predetermined tool change position on the table instead of using the K feature and jogging to the general area and doing a tool change. I also intend to add this macro to his Logitech F710 wireless controller. I would have thought that someone out there has already done this as many of you guys are already running parts from different X - Y Zero locations on the table and not from the Proximity Switch X - Y Zero Table Location.

If anyone has such a macro and would be willing to share it would be greatly appreciated.

I have looked at all your posts but am still confused and what I actually need to do macro wise to get this machine to perform a manual tool change macro from anywhere on the table regardless of where I have re-set the X - Y Zero with my X Laser. I want to return the router to a predetermined location in X - Y in machine coordinates, NOT table coordinates. I read Ken's post in reference to Table Based Coordinates but don't know how to apply that to a macro that would do what I want.

I hope I have made this a little clearer so you guys can help me along. Any further help would be appreciated.

John

Default Tool Change Position on Shopbot PRT Standard

Is there a way to switch between table Coor's and software Coor's. like in standard GCode a G53 puts you into Machine Coor's which looks like want you call table coor's
    Thanks
    Don Clifton