Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: sanding issue's

Since I posted a few days ago about the glass fiber brush I came up with a slightly more elegant holder on the pen sander. This is a thin wall brass tube that I glued to a chopped-off Proxxon sander extension. The length adjustment with the duct tape is still not that pretty but it works much better since the fibers are held together and don't fray as much (picture 1).

For practical test I machined intentionally a very fuzzy 4x4" relief from Birch plywood with an 1/8" ballnose and coarse 20% stepover (picture 2).

Removing the fuzz with the fiber brush took about 3-4 minutes (picture 3). Since the tip is only 3/16" diameter it can go really deep into the inner corners. It removes easily the lose fibers but the detail (here the bit traces) is still there. For further improvement maybe I will make a lightweight plastic collet to hold and adjust the fiber brush stick.

Box Joint, Dovetail, Guilloche and MazeMaker Software Here

G,
    That looks like it does an excellent job!!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

G , looks like it works great think I'll have to give it a try. thanks

Reckon you are really onto something there Gert. Proxxson works a lot better if one doesnt use their short life abrasives. I cant wait to try your new technique.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Maybe a video clip can show better how it works. I apologize for the video quality. It was not trivial shooting the clip with the left hand while sanding with the other hand There is much better control of the sander when you can work with both hands.

This is the same relief as shown before but this time in softwood (unknown species, maybe yellow pine?) with same settings: 1/8" ball nose, 20% stepover, 150 ipm, full depth cut. This gets really fuzzy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFhWqOjXZfM

Before

After

G. , You did use that wood and those settings to MAKE a fuzzy example--Right?
    Scott Plaisted
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 9
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    G. , You did use that wood and those settings to MAKE a fuzzy example--Right?
    Yes, that was the idea. That softwood is pretty bad but it still came out better than I thought. I have had worse examples in the past. Maybe that was with a dull bit or cutting across the grain.
    Actually that 2x4 material was so soft the fiber brush could smooth out the bit traces, you can see some "bald" spots in the picture where I used the sander too long.