Thread: Move & Jog not working properly, Move is too fast and jog is too slow!

Default Move & Jog not working properly, Move is too fast and jog is too slow!

I'm working with an older PRS Alpha 96x48 (with the USB to serial adapter) and today after turning it on it's moving faster when moving than jogging, and jogging appears to only move 30% the distance I command it, while moving moves something like 130%!

If I MX 12, it moves about 16". MX 6 moves about 8". Same for MY.
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/ima...or/menupop.gif
    JX 12 or JY 12 results in very slow movement and about 3-4" of movement.

Move and jog speeds are set to defaults (12.00 for jog and 3.00 for move), slowing it down doesn't seem to change anything for Move at least (it moves slower, but still goes the 16" instead of 12), I didn't measure Jog after changing speeds.

All moves result in showing the entered distances (so it thinks it's at 12 after MX 12, even though it's really at 16). It will lose zero if I mix jogs and moves.

I've reset the settings using the default PRSAlpha settings, and it made no change.

I saw a similar thread here and followed everything in there, multiple restarts, unplugged (power) shopbot controller and reloaded firmware.

Settings from VU:
    [CODE]
    X Unit Value 2482.8171
    Y Unit Value 2482.8171
    Z Unit Value 2979.3805
    A Unit Value 2979.3805
    B Unit Value 13.8889
    Circle Resolution .05
    Small Circle Def (OBS) .25

X resolution Mutiple 5
    Y resolution Mutiple 5
    Z resolution Mutiple 5
    A resolution Mutiple 5
    B resolution Mutiple 1

Step interval driver 1
    [/CODE]

Open the control box after it is powered OFF and make sure that somebody didn't monkey with the small white selector switches on the Alpha drivers. ALL should be all the way to the LEFT.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Can someone verify if those Multiplier numbers are correct?
    Mine are X=4 Y=4 Z=1 A=1
    SG

Multipliers are correct. The multipliers you show are for AS911s, typically found on a PRTAlpha without 7.2:1 upgrade.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Those are correct for a PRS Alpha. This is strange. I've been thinking about this since I first read it this morning and since you have confirmed that you have reset to default, I'm thinking along the lines of Brady, that something may have been tinkered with that shouldn't have.

I see that you're at a FabLab, is there any kind of log that is kept per user/usage? What version SB3 are you running there?
    Scott

I am indeed at the Boston FabLab at SETC, as far as I know the machine hadn't been used since my last project 2 weeks ago. It's not unheard of for things to get changed without us all knowing about it though… We don't have any kind of usage logs. And unfortunately, I didn't look at the machine logs before resetting, though I'm going to peek around the folders and see if any jobs look like they were run in between.

I believe the motors may be ASM98AA-SG7.2s I didn't look at the labels but they look exactly like the attached picture (with the black cube gearbox).

I had to head out of town for the weekend doing some welding to create the benches instead of milling :/, but will check back on the jumper settings monday and let you all know if we figure it out.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've been to more than my share of 'rent a machine' places to sort out issues like this. There is little accountability for the tools and users take it upon themselves to tinker without consulting anyone else. I would go over the machine with a fine-toothed comb and take nothing for granted.

The pic you have attached shows a Z motor on a PRS Standard. It is a totally different animal than the Alpha. Standards have red labels; Alphas have violet labels. UV values are completely different. Which do you have?

-B

The ShopBot at SETC is a PRS Standard and not an Alpha.

Colin...try resetting the ShopBot software using the UR command and select PRS Standard in the list of tools. If that doesn't fix, tech support monitors email and phone messages through the weekend and will get back to you quickly. They are almost always the fastest way to get up and running again.

Just as an FYI, the ShopBot at SETC is the first ShopBot that MIT put in a FabLab. Now there are ShopBots in fablabs all over the world!

http://www.tech-center-enlightentcity.tv/

Bill

Yup I just figured this out too, I was going on the assumption (as we all know you never should that this was an Alpha, because of the previous settings.

I just reset SB3 with the PRS Standard settings and things are back to normal. Turns out the Fab Academy folks had been "experimenting" with it, but for obvious reasons hadn't cut anything.

On the plus side, the Software is now up to date (it was a few minor versions old). And I know a bit more about the Shopbot!

Everything's back to normal now thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Nilloc; 06-10-2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Forgot a sentence.