Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3d model gaps and spikes

Hello Dave. I am glad to know that the "3D" work challenge isn't "just me".

As to Aspire and its relief layer organization, it uses a component tree, which is really quite different than the Aspire 2D layer manager, or any other layer managers I have used.

The Aspire component tree does appear as a stack, with each relief component having its position in the stack. Each component can be changed by itself as to being in add mode, subtract mode, merge high, merge low, thus controlling how each part will combine with the other parts in the component tree. And each part can be moved up and down in the tree, which can also affect how it interacts with other parts in the model.

They also provide for easy organization of the component tree by allowing the user to gather lots of loose parts into "groups". A group can then be copied and set aside for later access, while the original group can be "baked" into a single relief component (at which point all of the constituent elements loose their ability to be individually manipulated, which is why you need the back-up "copy group".

But the Aspire relief modeling organization seems to be pretty well laid out and almost intuitive.

Thanks, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Chuck, your rail looks way better than cool, it looks great!
    I learn little bits about Aspire all the time, or am reminded of things that maybe I did know, but forgot. For instance, when I get to working with layers, I forget that changing to a different layer and keeping my work on that layer, it is a two step process; select the layer, then make that layer active. If I do much of it, I am bound to forget..I also believe that you can check the cross section of a model in the Measure and Inspect box down at the bottom. That may help to see just how much relief you have.
    Again, you rail was an excellent design and beautiful execution...joe

Thank you Joe for your positive comments about my railing and for your suggestions on layer issues. The railing is still missing the caps on the posts, the base moldings as well as the Gothic Roses, so it still looks a bit incomplete, especially the post caps. I wasn't going to post pictures of my railing until I had completed it, but it tied into the discussion.

I was going to make a note concerning what parts of that railing were done in 3D from Rhino, and that was the long horizontal moldings that are part of the top railing assembly, and the actual cap of the railing. So these were just modeled as long extrusions. The Gothic arches were designed in Aspire, and they are NOT 3d. They are simply profile cuts, made with a flat end mill for all flat surfaces, and the cove detail was made using a 3/4" diameter core box bit. All the other parts were made with my table saw and my router table.

It was also a bit odd to design, because local building code requires that such railings be no less than 36" high, (which was higher than looked right while I was modeling), and the horizontal openings could not exceed 4".

Thanks again, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5