Thread: Jog speed in PhotoVCarve

Default Jog speed in PhotoVCarve

I’m cutting a large litho in Photo v Carve (4 panels 30 x 96” each).
    The graphic is coral so there are allot of islands that the cutter skips over.
    Photo V Carve doesn’t go into jog speed over these uncut sections (all M3 moves)

Can I modify my post p to get the jog speed to work? Hoping to reduce my 30 hour per panel cut time to maybe 15

Scott

I’ve checked the post p. on both Photo V and V Carve Pro. The have the same “RAPID_MOVE” line in the program move section.

I also tried to import the PVC file into V Carve Pro but can’t change the moves to jogs.

Scott

Scott,

I don't believe you'll be able to change that in the PP as the program sees those areas as part of the whole image. I'm assuming those areas are white or with no detail and the program is assigning them with a zero value for the Z axis. You could bump up your move speed for XY and Z. I'd tweak the ramp settings too so that it slows down less in areas where all three axes are working together. Take a look at Brady's primer on VR for further info on that. In particular the part for 3D files.

Aside from that, I suppose you could open the file in an editor and search for any lines that have ,0.0000 at the end and change them to J3's, but the file would be done cutting by the the time you got that done! You'd likely have a lot of short quick jogs that would introduce resonance/jiggle that could transfer to your cut also.
    Scott

Those areas are set to "transparent". The Z moves to .20

Scott

More info:
    I looked at the SBP code, it looks like the very short segments (under 0.06) at 0.20 above the material use the J3 command, any longer segments use the M3 command.

If you load the cut in SB3 in preview mode and without choosing a tool and previewing it, zoom in on the toolpath lines and you'll see that the only jog moves are the ones in red and are from the end of one line to the beginning of the next line. All other paths no matter if they are above or in the material are considered cut speed paths. It's just that the program considers them as part of the image, within the perimeter. Take for example the attached jpg, as the toolpath travels diagonally over the image, it still is generated as M3's, where you would think it would/could be a jog until it gets to the other side. Just a limitation of the program. If they considered all above the material paths as jogs, you could end up with a pretty jiggy file depending on the image.

If you set a little faster move/cut speed, match the Z axis closer to the XY, and make your rapid gap as tight as you dare, you'll shave off some time. Custom ramp settings can help with the flow too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

Scott W.:
    You nailed it! If the transparent section isn’t connected to the edge it’s a move command in Photo VC. It’s a drag, but it’s true.

Thanks for the Brady link. I might be able to gain a little time, not as much as I hoped, but a little.

I can’t justify the $ on this project but for future reference will Aspire go into J3 mode over the center islands?

Scott S.