Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: M1911 grips

Trying to think outside the box here since everyone + their grandmothers are making wood grips - Here is corian and plexi.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doug

The plexi is cool! I've thought of that with carving on the backside and then if a guy could mod the mag well with a small LED/battery to edge light it somehow.
    Scott

Yeah they light up stuff like yoyos all the time, grips would be doable for sure but probably more hassle than its worth.
    I think the biggest drawback would be each grip would have to have its own battery and switch, no practical way to just run a wire from one to the other.
    Doug

You might want to check out "Crimson Trace" lasers that attach to the gun and are activated by a microswitch when you squeeze the handle. Possibly you can glean how its wired and apply it to lights for your grips.
    Also do some research on Instructables.com to see if you can find some kind of microswitch lighting.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I'll leave lighting for someone else, interest level is just not there and I don't think the concept is workable for a weapon. Main obstacle I think is the battery. A pocket in the grip would have to be routed for it not to mention a switch, I think that alone would ruin the look of a see through grip.

This will likely be my last post on these, besides possibly using different woods, no more new ideas.
    The clear grips I reworked, they were loaded with tiny machining lines which buffing only made more visible and left the whole surface hazy. So I sanded then down with fine grit sandpaper using a mouse sander, rebuffed them now they are crystal clear. Guys that don't work with plexi often, sanding might be the last thing they ever think of doing, but sometimes that is exactly what is needed.

Also tried plexi with texture, very nice. They aren't exactly see through, but wasn't expecting that with a texture. If I blasted them with flame I think that would clear off most of the haze, but I like them the way they are. Plexi used is 3/8, barely thick enough, 0 margin for Z error.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Xray; 03-11-2016 at 02:00 PM.
    Doug

Nice job on the sanding and polishing. If you do more try some oil (Like WD or even auto oil) with your wet sandpaper.
    Way faster and easier than water.
    I know you can flame polish them but I wouldn't want to use those pieces for practice.