Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: M1911 grips

Default Some more grip goodness

Thanks Adam.

A few test fit ones. Spalted maple and wenge. Had some worm holes in the maple and the wenge is quite brittle so I lost a little edge. Lacquer on the maple and Watco Danish oil on the wenge. Really like the looks of the spalted maple on the gun and need to make a new/good one.

Another test with some 60º v-grooves on some purple heart and a dragon with a scales background in bloodwood cut with a 0.040" ballnose. Both with lacquer. Don't really like the lacquer as it is a high build formula and it starts to fill in and is too glossy.

An eagle with diamonds on some walnut crotch, also cut with a 0.040" ballnose. Hard to see, but the eagle (and the dragon) is coming out of the frame a little bit. Finally got some Tru-Oil, 4 coats and buffed out between coats with 0000 steel wool and a final butting with a worn out sanding mop, much better.

Another dragon on jatoba. Again, with a 0.040" ballnose and Tru-Oil. The dragon scales were distorted to give it some twist and scale size variation.

First couple of coats of Tru-Oil is wiped on from a bottle and the last two were sprayed on from the 11oz spray can product. That gives a nice even coat.

If anyone would like the diamond or scales backgrounds to use, I can make them available. The eagle and dragon are VectorArt 3D files and if you have Aspire, you may already have them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

beautiful grips,

Spalted Absolutely worth another shot Scott. Can't stop looking at pic
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

What Scott said. I LOVE the personality that shows in that wood.

Monty

You do beautiful work, Scott. You should show these on the Vectric forum also...joe

Scott, that spalted file would look stellar in quiled maple if you can find a nice, tight piece.

Scott W., On second thought, you should throw that old worm eaten wood with the ugly black lines away, and go for true perfection with MDF where it's all identical! Of course you should throw it my way, and buy some of my Oregon Quilted (Tight 8/4)for a special price just for you of $42 bf- Hate to split up the 1/4 tree---But for You, Hey what are friends for? Oops-used the F word
    Like the scales But no Aspire.
    scott P.
    Maine

I do have some nice quilted white hard maple boards I've been saving for something on a larger scale, but might have to cut out a nice 5" x 5" piece and make some more.

Scott P., I got several spalted boards from my lumber supplier a while back for $4.20/bdft, should have bought it all. Need to try some cyanoacrylate on some. $42/bdft....Hmmm.....I could maybe get 8-10 pair from 1 bdft. A little steep, but not too bad of a deal. What I'd really like is some highly figured/mineral streaked myrtle wood from Oregon/N Cal. Used up what I had years ago for some bowls.

Adam, I wonder if the long time to cure for the Tru-Oil was due to the oily nature of cocobolo? The spray stuff was good to rub out in about 4 hours.
    Scott

Adam, It mentioned Linseed Oil "and other natural oils", Under comments I read that it Gelled in a week or so(to much air) so it sounds like Tung. Only 12 hours between coats sounds short for both of those. May have to pic some up and try-Thanks. Scott W you have a PM.
    scott P.
    Maine

When living out there I did a lot of specialty wood buying at Crosscut Hardwoods. I'm pretty sure they are glad to ship as well. Check out their site:

http://www.crosscuthardwoods.com/hardwood-lumber.html

Nobody has a yard like this is South Florida.